Contemporary debates in the sociology of education
- Houndmills, Basingstoke, Hampshire : Palgrave Macmillan, 2013.
- Physical description
- xiv, 238 pages : illustrations ; 23 cm
LC191 .C5773 2013
- Unknown LC191 .C5773 2013
- Includes bibliographical references and index.
- 1. Contemporary Debates within the Sociology of Education: An Introduction-- Rachel Brooks, Mark McCormack and Kalwant Bhopal 2. Globalization and Sociology of Education Policy: The Case of PISA-- Bob Lingard and Sam Sellar 3. Education Policy, Human Rights, Citizenship and Cohesion-- Audrey Osler 4. School Type and Inequality-- Rita Nikolai and Anne West 5. We Know What They Earn, but What Do They Learn?: A Critique of Lifelong Learning through the Lens of Workplace Learning at the Bottom of the Service Sector-- Steven Roberts 6. In a Class of their Own: How Working-class Students Experience University-- Wolfgang Lehmann 7. Examining the (Em)bodied Boundaries of High School Locker Rooms-- Michael Kehler and Michael Atkinson 8. Adolescent and Disabled or Adolescence Disabled? Education and the Construction of Gendered Identities Among Adolescents with Intellectual Disability-- Kagendo Mutua and Sandra Cooley Nichols 9. It's How You Look or What You Like: Gender Harassment at School and its Association with Student Adjustment-- Elisabeth Morgan Thompson, Katerina O. Sinclair, Riki Wilchins & Stephen T. Russell 10. What is so Liberal about Neoliberalism?: Schooling, Law and Limitations of Race-neutral Reforms-- Zeus Leonardo and Hoang Tran 11. Fear In and About Education-- Carolyn Jackson 12. Choosing Subjects: Sociological Approaches to Young Women's Subject Choices-- Heather Mendick 13. Towards a Sociology of Education and Technology-- Keri Facer and Neil Selwyn.
- (source: Nielsen Book Data)
- Publisher's Summary
- The sociology of education is a vibrant discipline which has been responsible for a number of profound shifts in how we understand society. With innovations in the discipline sitting alongside more traditional lines of enquiry that continue to demand attention, this edited volume brings together some of the most prominent sociologists working in education today to address a wide range of empirical and theoretical issues. Adopting an international perspective, this book foregrounds cutting-edge research that highlights both the diversity and complexity of understanding education in society. Contemporary Debates in the Sociology of Education not only showcases the real strengths of the discipline but, by bringing together original, empirical work by leading scholars, it advances our sociological understanding, acting as a source of stimulation and debate for postgraduate students and academics, as well as a touchstone for undergraduates seeking to engage with the discipline.
(source: Nielsen Book Data)
- Educational sociology.
- Publication date
- edited by Rachel Brooks, Mark McCormack and Kalwant Bhopal.
- 9781137269874 (hardback)
- 1137269871 (hardback)