The K-book : an introduction to algebraic K-theory
- Charles A. Weibel.
- Providence, Rhode Island : American Mathematical Society, 
- Physical description
- xii, 618 pages : illustrations ; 25 cm.
- Graduate studies in mathematics v. 145.
Science Library (Li and Ma)
|QA612.33 .W45 2013||Unknown|
- Weibel, Charles A., 1950-
- Includes bibliographical references (pages 589-598) and indexes.
- Projective modules and vector bundles The Grothendieck group $K_0$ $K_1$ and $K_2$ of a ring Definitions of higher $K$-theory The fundamental theorems of higher $K$-theory The higher $K$-theory of fields Nomenclature Bibliography Index.
- (source: Nielsen Book Data)9780821891322 20160612
- Publisher's Summary
- Informally, $K$-theory is a tool for probing the structure of a mathematical object such as a ring or a topological space in terms of suitably parameterized vector spaces and producing important intrinsic invariants which are useful in the study of algebraic and geometric questions. Algebraic $K$-theory, which is the main character of this book, deals mainly with studying the structure of rings. However, it turns out that even working in a purely algebraic context, one requires techniques from homotopy theory to construct the higher $K$-groups and to perform computations. The resulting interplay of algebra, geometry, and topology in $K$-theory provides a fascinating glimpse of the unity of mathematics. This book is a comprehensive introduction to the subject of algebraic $K$-theory. It blends classical algebraic techniques for $K_0$ and $K_1$ with newer topological techniques for higher $K$-theory such as homotopy theory, spectra, and cohomological descent. The book takes the reader from the basics of the subject to the state of the art, including the calculation of the higher $K$-theory of number fields and the relation to the Riemann zeta function.
(source: Nielsen Book Data)9780821891322 20160612
- Publication date
- Graduate studies in mathematics ; v. 145
- 9780821891322 (alk. paper)
- 0821891324 (alk. paper)
Browse related items
Start at call number: