Advisory in urban high schools : a study of expanded teacher roles
- Kate Phillippo.
- First edition.
- New York : Palgrave Macmillan, 2013.
- Physical description
- xiv, 199 pages : illustrations ; 23 cm.
- Palgrave studies in urban education.
Education Library (Cubberley)
|LC5131 .P49 2013||Unknown|
- Phillippo, Kate.
- Includes bibliographical references (pages -193) and index.
- 1. Advisory: A View into Expanded Teacher Roles 2. "Very Nice, but not Very Helpful": The Education Profession's Divergent Representations of Teachers' Social-Emotional Support Responsibilities, 1892-2011 (With Beth Wright) 3. Advisor Role Structure: How Schools Support or Undermine Expanded Teacher Roles 4. Consistency and Variation in Teachers' Implementation of the Advisor Role 5. The Toolbox and How Teachers Used It: Individual Characteristics that Explain Differences in Advisor Role Enactment 6. Occupational Hazards and Innovation: Teachers' Responses to the Advisor Role 7. Tying it All Together: Lessons about Formally Expanded Teacher Roles, Teachers Advising Students, and Teachers Providing Social-Emotional Support Appendix A. Teacher Interview Participants, Sorted by School Appendix B. Overview of Research Methods.
- (source: Nielsen Book Data)9781137311252 20160612
- Publisher's Summary
- Far from being solely imparters of information, teachers have long been tasked with multiple and increasing responsibilities. Recent decades have now seen a formal expansion of these responsibilities, adding often-unfamiliar duties to teachers' already full plates. Advisory in Urban High Schools explores the expanded roles of teachers who serve as advisors to students, a role that often demands teachers provide social-emotional support to their advisees. Through an in-depth study of teachers in multiple small, urban high schools with advisory programs, this book considers the precedents for the advisor's role; the interpretations, enactments, and responses teachers bring to the advisor's role; and the experiences of and outcomes for students.
(source: Nielsen Book Data)9781137311252 20160612
- Publication date
- Palgrave studies in urban education
- 9781137311252 (alk. paper)
- 1137311258 (alk. paper)
Acquired with support from
Browse related items
Start at call number: