- Robert J. Brooker ... [et al.].
- 3rd ed.
- New York, NY : McGraw-Hill, c2014.
- Physical description
- 1 v. (various pagings) : col. ill., col. maps ; 29 cm.
- Brooker, Robert J.
- 1 An Introduction to Biology Unit 1 Chemistry 2 The Chemical Basis of Life I: Atoms, Molecules, and Water 3 The Chemical Basis of Life II: Organic Molecules Unit 2 Cell 4 General Features of Cells 5 Membrane Structure, Synthesis, and Transport 6 An Introduction to Energy, Enzymes, and Metabolism 7 Cellular Respiration, Fermentation, and Secondary Metabolism 8 Photosynthesis 9 Cell Communication 10 Multicellularity Unit 3 Genetics 11 Nucleic Acid Structure, DNA Replication, and Chromosome Structure 12 Gene Expression at the Molecular Level 13 Gene Regulation 14 Mutation, DNA Repair, and Cancer 15 The Eukaryotic Cell Cycle, Mitosis, and Meiosis 16 Simple Patterns of Inheritance 17 Complex Patterns of Inheritance 18 Genetics of Viruses and Bacteria 19 Developmental Genetics 20 Genetic Technology 21 Genomes, Proteomes, and Bioinformatics Unit 4 Evolution 22 The Origin and History of Life 23 An Introduction to Evolution 24 Population Genetics 25 Origin of Species and Macroevolution 26 Taxonomy and Systematics Unit 5 Diversity 27 Bacteria and Archaea 28 Protists 29 Plants and the Conquest of Land 30 The Evolution and Diversity of Modern Gymnosperms and Angiosperms 31 Fungi 32 An Introduction to Animal Diversity 33 The Invertebrates 34 The Vertebrates Unit 6 Plants 35 An Introduction to Flowering Plant Form and Function 36 Flowering Plants: Behavior 37 Flowering Plants: Nutrition 38 Flowering Plants: Transport 39 Flowering Plants: Reproduction Unit 7 Animals 40 Introduction to Animal Form and Function 41 Neuroscience I: Cells of the Nervous System 42 Neuroscience II: Evolution and Function of the Brain and Nervous Systems 43 Neuroscience III: Sensory Systems 44 The Muscular-Skeletal System and Locomotion 45 Nutrition, Digestion, and Absorption 46 Control of Energy Balance, Metabolic Rate, and Body Temperature 47 Circulatory Systems 48 Respiratory Systems 49 Excretory Systems and Salt and Water Balance 50 Endocrine Systems 51 Animal Reproduction 52 Animal Development 53 Immune Systems Unit 8 Ecology 54 An Introduction to Ecology and Biomes 55 Behavioral Ecology 56 Population Ecology 57 Species Interactions 58 Community Ecology 59 Ecosystems Ecology 60 Biodiversity and Conservation Biology.
- (source: Nielsen Book Data)9780073532240 20160612
- Publisher's Summary
- The first and second editions of "Biology", written by Dr. Rob Brooker, Dr. Eric Widmaier, Dr. Linda Graham, and Dr. Peter Stiling, has reached thousands of students and provided them with an outstanding view of the biological world. Now, the third edition has gotten even better! The author team is dedicated to producing the most engaging and current text that is available for undergraduate students who are majoring in biology. The authors want students to be inspired by the field of biology and become critical thinkers. They understand the goal of a professor is to prepare students for future course work, lab experiences, and careers in the sciences. Building on the successes of the first and second editions, the third edition reflects a focus on core competencies and provides a more learner-centered approach. The strength of an engaging and current text is improved with the addition of new pedagogical features that direct the students' learning goals and provide opportunities for assessment, to determine if students understand the concepts.
(source: Nielsen Book Data)9780073532240 20160612
- Publication date
- Includes index.
- 9780073532240 (hard copy : alk. paper)
- 007353224X (hard copy : alk. paper)
Browse related items
Start at call number: