Zoo animals : behaviour, management, and welfare
- Hosey, Geoffrey R., author.
- 2nd edition.
- Oxford : Oxford University Press, .
- Physical description
- 643 pages : illustrations (black and white), maps (black and white) ; 25 cm
SF408 .H67 2013
- Unknown SF408 .H67 2013
- Includes bibliographical references (pages -611) and index.
- 1. Introduction -- 2. History and philosophy of zoos -- 3. Regulatory framework -- 4. Behaviour -- 5. Animal identification and record keeping -- 6. Housing and husbandry -- 7. Animal welfare -- 8. Environmental enrichment -- 9. Small population management -- 10. Conservation -- 11. Health -- 12. Feeding and nutrition -- 13. People in zoos -- 14. Research -- 15. We hope you enjoyed your visit.
- (source: Nielsen Book Data)
- Publisher's Summary
- The keeping of zoo animals is a central tool in the conservation of some of the world's most fascinating, yet threatened, species. But how do zoos operate on a day-to-day basis? What are the key challenges they face in trying to feed, manage, and keep healthy the animals in their care? How can they play their part in conserving biodiversity? Zoo Animals: Behaviour, Management and Welfare addresses the key questions surrounding the keeping of exotic animals in captivity, and reveals how we can apply our ever-growing understanding of animal behaviour and use an evidence based approach to ensure zoo animals are managed as effectively as possible. Drawing on their extensive experience of zoo research, practice, and teaching, the authors blend together theory with a broad range of both mammalian and non-mammalian examples to give a highly-readable overview of this burgeoning field. Zoo Animals: Behaviour, Management, and Welfare is the ideal resource for anyone needing a thorough grounding in this subject, whether as a student or as a zoo professional. Online Resource Centre The Online Resource Centre to accompany Zoo Animals features: For all readers: * Updates - surveys of key developments in the field * Multiple choice questions with instant feedback, to aid self-assessment For registered adopters of the book: * Figures from the book in electronic format and full colour, available for download.
(source: Nielsen Book Data)
- Zoo animals.
- Publication date
- Geoff Hosey, Vicky Melfi, Sheila Pankhurst.
- Previous edition: 2009.
- 9780199693528 (pbk.)
- 0199693528 (pbk.)