Language-in-education policies : the discursive construction of Intercultural relations
- Anthony J. Liddicoat.
- Bristol : MULTILINGUAL MATTERS, 
- Physical description
- vii, 245 pages ; 21 cm.
- Multilingual matters
Education Library (Cubberley)
|P119.3 .L63 2013||Unknown|
- Liddicoat, Anthony, 1962-
- Includes bibliographical references (pages 219-237) and index.
- Chapter 1: Introduction: Language-in-education policy, discourse and the intercultural Chapter 2: Policies for foreign language learning Chapter 3: Languages in the education of immigrants Chapter 4: Languages in the education of indigenous people Chapter 5: External language spread policies Chapter 6: Language-in-education policies and intercultural relationships.
- (source: Nielsen Book Data)
- Publisher's Summary
- This book examines the ideological underpinnings of language-in-education policies that explicitly focus on adding a new language to the learners' existing repertoire. It examines policies for foreign languages, immigrant languages, indigenous languages and external language spread. Each of these contexts provides for different possible relationships between the language learner and the target language group and shows how in different polities different understandings influence how policy is designed.The book develops a theoretical account of language policies as discursive constructions of ideological positions and explicates how ideologies are developed through an examination of case studies from a range of countries. Each chapter in this book takes the form of a series of three in-depth cases studies in which policies relating to a particular area of language-in-education policy is examined. Each case examines the language of policy texts from a critical perspective to deconstruct how intercultural relationships are projected.
(source: Nielsen Book Data)
- Publication date
- 9781847699145 (hbk : alk. paper)
- 1847699146 (hbk : alk. paper)
- 9781847699138 (pbk : alk. paper)
- 9781847699152 (ebook)
- 1847699138 (pbk : alk. paper)
Browse related items
Start at call number: