Effective interpersonal and team communication skills for engineers [electronic resource]
- Clifford A. Whitcomb, Leslie E. Whitcomb.
- Piscataway, NJ : IEEE Press ; Hoboken, N.J. : John Wiley & Sons, ©2013.
- Physical description
- 1 online resource (xxii, 142 pages) : illustrations
- Includes bibliographical references (pages 139-140) and index.
- Section I. Learning the Basics
- 1. Learning to Drive Your Communications
- 2. What Does It Mean to Be an Effective Engineering Communicator?
- 3. Your Natural Style of Communication
- 4. How Self-Understanding Leads to Development of Emotional Intelligence
- 5. Developing Emotional Intelligence
- 6. Affect Changes Your Communication
- 7. Affect Processing: the Hidden Key to Clear Communication
- Section II. Taking It to Work
- 8. I, You, and the Team
- 9. Paying Attention with Attending Behaviors
- 10. Shape Your Communications Using Open and Closed Questions
- 11. Move into Multiple Dimensions with Multimodal Attending
- Section III. Making It Real
- 12. Develop Fluency with Encouraging, Paraphrasing, and Summarizing
- 13. Close the Loop with Reflection of Feeling
- 14. The Six-Step Cycle
- Section IV. Taking the Lead
- 15. Working with Confrontation and Conflict Negotiation
- 16. Becoming an Intentional Engineer.
- Publisher's Summary
- Historically, the need for communication skills was not particularly emphasized in engineering education. However, recent studies show that clear, spoken communication is an essential competency for an engineer. This book introduces key principles of communication that support clear exchanges in a technical context. Using self-assessment tools and practical examples, as well as engineering-specific case studies, the book helps engineers develop effective communication and presentation skills, allowing them to successfully respond to technical challenges in day-to-day engineering jobs.
(source: Nielsen Book Data)
- Publication date
- 9781118514245 (electronic bk.)
- 1118514246 (electronic bk.)
- 9781118514283 (electronic bk.)
- 1118514289 (electronic bk.)
- 9781283950039 (MyiLibrary)
- 1283950030 (MyiLibrary)
- 9781118317099 (pbk.)
- 1118317092 (pbk.)