Paulo Freire's intellectual roots : toward historicity in praxis
- edited by Robert Lake and Tricia Kress.
- London ; New York : Bloomsbury, 2013.
- Physical description
- xxi, 257 p. ; 22 cm.
Education Library (Cubberley)
|LC196 .P385 2013||Unknown|
- Includes bibliographical references (p. -243) and index.
- Acknowledgements Prologue: The Fruit of Freire's Roots by Henry Giroux Introduction: Pedagogy is Not a Teaching Method by Stanley Aronowitz Contradiction, Consciousness and Generative Words: Hegel's Roots in Freire's Work by Andy Blunden A Dialogue between Marx and Freire by Tricia Kress and Robert Lake The Gramscian Influence by Peter Mayo Rethinking Freire's "Oppressed": A "Southern" Route to Habermas's Communicative Turn and Theory of Deliberative Democracy by Raymond Morrow Freire, Buber, and Care Ethics on Dialogue in Teaching by Nel Noddings Converging Self/ Other Awareness: Erich Fromm and Paulo Freire on Transcending the Fear of Freedom by Robert Lake and Vicki Dagastino Liberation Theology and Paulo Freire: On the Side of the Poor by William Reynolds Living within the Tensions Freire's Praxis in a High Stakes World by Melissa Winchell and Tricia Kress Paulo Freire's Concept of Conscientiza o-by Ana Cruz Red-ing the Word, Red-ing the World-by Sandy Grande Epilogue: Freire's Roots in His Own Words by Paulo Freire.
- (source: Nielsen Book Data)9781441195234 20160612
- Publisher's Summary
- Paulo Freire's critical pedagogy has had a profound influence on contemporary progressive educators around the globe as they endeavor to rethink education for liberation and the creation of more humane global society. For Freire, maintaining a sense of historicity, that is, the origins from which our thinking and practice emerges, is essential to understanding and practicing education as a means for liberation. Too often, however, critical pedagogy is presented as a monolithic philosophy, and the historical and intellectual roots of critical pedagogy are submerged. Through a compilation of essays written by leading and emerging scholars of critical pedagogy, this text brings history into the present and keeps Paulo's intellectual roots alive in all of us as we develop our praxis today.
(source: Nielsen Book Data)9781441195234 20160612
- Publication date
- 9781441111845 (hbk.)
- 1441111840 (hbk.)
- 9781441195234 (pbk.)
- 1441195238 (pbk.)
- 9781441113801 (PDF ebook)
- 1441113800 (PDF ebook)
- 9781441154422 (ePub ebook)
- 1441154426 (ePub ebook)
Browse related items
Start at call number: