Principles of horticultural physiology
- Edward Francis Durner.
- Wallingford, Oxfordshire, UK ; Boston, MA : CABI, c2013.
- Physical description
- vii, 405 p. : ill. ; 25 cm
Biology Library (Falconer)
SB319.5 .D87 2013
- Unknown SB319.5 .D87 2013
- Durner, Edward Francis.
- Includes bibliographical references (p. 353-391) and index.
- Horticulture: whole plant integration of many disciplines
- The plant hormones
- Growth, development and plant movement
- Physiology of growth in specific organs: roots, stems and leaves
- Physiology of growth in specific organs: flowers, fruit and seeds
- Some abiotic plant stressors: oxygen, minerals and salt
- Water and plants
- Light energy and plant function
- Temperature effects on growth and development of plants
- The soil and its environment
- The greenhouse environment
- Seeding and seedling establishment
- Pruning, training, growth and plant size
- Grafting and rootstocks
- From harvest to market
- Post-harvest physiology
- Human nutrition, phytonutrients, nutraceuticals and horticulture.
- Publisher's Summary
- This is the only horticulture textbook offering in-depth coverage of physiological processes in relation to horticultural practices. Understanding the physiology of plants is fundamental to horticulture theory and practice. This is a major textbook for junior and senior level undergraduates of horticulture. It offers in-depth coverage of applied aspects of physiology related to horticultural crops. It is an approach unique to this textbook. It focuses throughout on how horticultural practices influence plant productivity and quality. Beginning with the basics of plant physiology, the text progresses via plant growth and development, and environmental factors, to practical management techniques, finishing with harvesting, packaging and transportation. It is presented in highly accessible, easy-to-follow style. It is suitable for undergraduate students of horticulture and related disciplines. It is also useful for advanced growers interested in the physiology underlying many horticultural practices.
(source: Nielsen Book Data)
- Publication date
- 9781780643069 (hardback : alk. paper)
- 1780643063 (hardback : alk. paper)
- 9781780640259 (pbk. : alk. paper)
- 1780640250 (pbk. : alk. paper)