Prairie directory of North America : the United States, Canada, and Mexico
- Adelman, Charlotte, 1937-
- 2nd ed.
- New York : Oxford University Press, c2013.
- Physical description
- xxi, 617 p., XL p. of plates : ill. ; 24 cm.
QH102 .A34 2013
- Unknown QH102 .A34 2013
- Schwartz, Bernard L.
- Includes bibliographical references and index.
- Contents -- List of Illustrations -- Part I- North American prairies, savannas and grasslands -- Part II - Canadian prairies, savannas and grasslands -- Part III - Mexican prairies and grasslands -- Glossary -- Bibliography -- Index of prairies alphabetically by state and name.
- (source: Nielsen Book Data)
- Publisher's Summary
- The first single, comprehensive source for locating North American public prairies, grasslands, and savannas, Prairie Directory of North America is a guide unlike any other. First published in 2001, the book uniquely catalogs the continent's most well-known prairie sites by country and state for easy reference. With the addition of over three hundred newly located, preserved, or restored sites, the second edition is the prairie enthusiast's ideal guide to locating countless North American sites-from the well-documented to the remote. Readers can use the guide to plan both convenient visits to close-to-home prairies and journeys to sites well across the continent. Also included is an expanded state-by-state index, ideal for locating specific prairies in any given state. The victim of destructive plowing and construction at the hands of European settlers, North American grassland ecosystems that once spanned the entire continent have suffered degradation and fragmentation. With the Prairie Directory as a guide, however, ecologists, environmental scientists, and tourists can experience the essence of this ancient ecosystem and, in some locations, even its vastness. The book lists tiny, hidden half-acre prairies spared by the plow as well as popular sites covering millions of acres. It documents prairies hidden deep in forests or in plain sight in American Indian reservations. The only one of its kind, this book will allow readers to experience the prairie as a colorful, fragrant, wildlife-rich North American landscape.
(source: Nielsen Book Data)
- Publication date
- Charlotte Adelman and Bernard L. Schwartz.
- 9780195366952 (pbk.)
- 0195366956 (pbk.)
- 9780195366945 (hbk.)
- 0195366948 (hbk.)