Civic work, civic lessons : two generations reflect on public service
- Thomas Ehrlich and Ernestine Fu.
- Lanham : University Press Of America, c2013.
- Physical description
- xxi, 177 p. ; 23 cm.
Education Library (Cubberley)
|LC221 .E37 2013||Unknown|
- Foreword Introduction: Co-Authors 57 Years Apart Lesson 1: Role Models, Mentors, and Teachers Are Key in Civic Work Lesson 2: Civic Work Should Serve the Public Interest Lesson 3: Focus on the Big Picture in Civic Work - But Don't Forget the Details Lesson 4: Motives to Engage in Civic Work Are Always Mixed Lesson 5: Moral Leadership Is Essential in Civic Work Lesson 6: Clear Goals Must Be Set in Civic Work Lesson 7: Civic Work Should Be Its Own Reward The Way Forward: Leveraging Technology for Civic Work Acknowledgements The Authors Index.
- (source: Nielsen Book Data)9780761861270 20160612
- Publisher's Summary
- Civic Work, Civic Lessons explains how and why people of all ages, and particularly young people, should engage in public service as a vocation or avocation. Its authors are 57 years apart in age, but united in their passion for public service, which they term "civic work." The book provides unique intergenerational perspectives. Thomas Ehrlich spent much of his career in the federal government. Ernestine Fu started a non-profit organization at an early age and then funded projects led by youth. Both have engaged in many other civic activities. An introductory chapter is followed by seven key lessons for success in civic work. Each lesson includes a section by each author. The sections by Ehrlich draw mainly from his experiences. Those by Fu draw on her civic work and that of many young volunteers whom the co-authors interviewed. The concluding chapter focuses on leveraging technologies for civic work. All profits received by the authors from the sale of this book will be donated to philanthropic organizations.
(source: Nielsen Book Data)9780761861270 20160612
- Publication date
- Title Variation
- Two generations reflect on public service
- Includes index.
- 9780761861270 (pbk.)
- 0761861270 (pbk.)
- 9780761861287 (electronic)
- 0761861289 (electronic)
Browse related items
Start at call number: