Developing ecological consciousness : the end of separation
- Christopher Uhl.
- Second edition.
- Lanham : Rowman & Littlefield Publishers, Inc., 
- Physical description
- xviii, 269 pages : illustrations ; 23 cm
Biology Library (Falconer)
|QH541 .U44 2013||Unknown|
- Uhl, Christopher, 1949-
- Includes bibliographical references and index.
- Preface Acknowledgments Part I: Earth Our Home Ch. 1: Discovery-Belonging to Something Greater Than Ourselves Ch. 2: Coming to Awareness-A Living Planet Ch. 3: Cultivating Community-Intimacy with Earth's Web of Life Part II: Assessing the Health of Earth Ch. 4: Listening-Gauging the Health of Earth Ch. 5: Courage-Facing Up to the Unraveling of the Biosphere Ch. 6: Living the Questions-Discovering Causes of Earth Breakdown Part III: Healing Ourselves, Healing Earth Ch. 7: The Old Story-Economism and Separation Ch. 8: The Great Turning-Birthing a New Story Epilogue End Notes Index About the Author.
- (source: Nielsen Book Data)9781442218321 20160612
- Publisher's Summary
- Developing Ecological Consciousness is a marked departure from those standard environmental studies texts strongly focused on actions that humans need to take to fix the environment. Christopher Uhl explores the path to living in harmony with Earth, and believes it begins - not with fixing the environment - but with fixing ourselves - specifically our perceptions about Earth. Using findings from science and his own life experience Uhl explains how all our environmental and social problems - e.g., climate change, species extinction, environmentally-linked cancers, genocide, deforestation - are rooted in separation - the severing of relationship between ourselves and the environment. As an antidote to separation, this book is an invitation to see everything - Earth, Cosmos, Sun, Worm, Bee -- as well as each other and our very selves with "new eyes. This new look through the lens of relationship and interdependence reminds us of the larger ecological truth - namely: that we are a part of, not apart from Earth. Indeed, at every level, from the sub-atomic to the cosmic, it is an interdependent relationship that defines reality. Uhl places a large focus on healing throughout the book. As we break away from the old story of hyper-individualism, unrestrained growth, control and consumption, we move to a new story of human realization. Ultimately, this new story reveals that by making peace with ourselves and each other, we gain the capacity to make peace with Earth, delighting in the realization that Earth is our larger body, the sacred whole that we dwell within. Developing Ecological Consciousness successfully exposes the realization that must take place in order to rejoin the community of life; after all, the world was not made for us, but rather, it is we who have been made for the world.
(source: Nielsen Book Data)9781442218321 20160612
- Publication date
- 9781442218321 (pbk. : alk. paper)
- 1442218320 (pbk. : alk. paper)
- 9781442218314 (hbk. : alk. paper)
- 1442218312 (hbk. : alk. paper)
- 9781442218338 (electronic)
- 1442218339 (electronic)
Browse related items
Start at call number: