Defining mathematics education : presidential yearbook selections 1926-2012 : seventy-fifth yearbook
- National Council of Teachers of Mathematics ; Francis (Skip) Fennell, seventy-fifth yearbook editor ; William R. Speer, general yearbook editor.
- Reston, VA : National Council of Teachers of Mathematics, c2013.
- Physical description
- viii, 410 p. : ill. ; 24 cm.
- Yearbook (National Council of Teachers of Mathematics) ; 75th.
Education Library (Cubberley)
|371.35 .N277 V.75||Unknown|
- Includes bibliographical references.
- First yearbook (1926). On the foundations of mathematics / Eliakim Hastings Moore ; A general survey of the progress of mathematics in our high schools in the last twenty-five years / David Eugene Smith
- Thirteenth yearbook (1938). The general nature of the problem ; A description of procedures / Harold P. Fawcett
- Twenty-first yearbook (1953). Theories of learning related to the field of mathematics / Howard F. Fehr
- Thirty-first yearbook (1969). The history of mathematics as a teaching tool / Phillip S. Jones
- Thirty-second yearbook (1970). The goals of history : issues and forces / Phillip S. Jones and Arthur F. Coxford Jr.
- Thirty-third yearbook (1970). Concepts / Kenneth B. Henderson
- Thirty-fifth yearbook (1972). Adjustment of instruction (elementary school) / Charlotte Junge
- Thirty-eighth yearbook (1976). Estimation as part of learning to measure / George W. Bright
- Forty-second yearbook (1980). Posing problems properly / Thomas Butts
- Forty-fifth yearbook (1983). Problem solving as a focus : how? when? whose responsibility / Peggy A. House, Martha L. Wallace, and Mary A. Johnson
- Forty-ninth yearbook (1987). Geometry for calculus readiness / Richard H. Balomenos, Joan Ferrini-Mundy, and Thomas Dick
- Fiftieth yearbook (1988). Conceptions of school algebra and uses of variables / Zalman Usiskin
- Fifty-ninth yearbook (1997). Students' voices : African Americans and mathematics / Erica N. Walker and Leah P. McCoy
- Sixtieth yearbook (1998). What is an algorithm? What is an answer? / Stephen B. Maurer ; Teaching mental algorithms constructively / Alistair McIntosh
- Sixty-first yearbook (1999). Twenty questions about mathematical reasoning / Lynn Arthur Steen
- Sixty-fourth yearbook (2002). Using manipulative models to build number sense for addition of fractions / Kathleen Cramer and Apryl Henry ; Examining dimensions of fraction operation sense / DeAnn Huinker
- Sixty-eighth yearbook (2006). Some important comparisons between statistics and mathematics, and why teachers should care / Allan Rossman, Beth Chance, and Elsa Medina
- Sixty-ninth yearbook (2007). Examining school mathematics through the lenses of learning and equity / Celia Rousseau Anderson.
- Publisher's Summary
- Defining Mathematics Education: Presidential Yearbook Selections, 1926-2012 includes an introduction from Francis (Skip) Fennell, a past president of NCTM, and features nineteen chapters from previous yearbooks, each recommended by a past NCTM president for its enduring quality and relevance. Like the yearbooks they are drawn from, these chapters tell the story of the critical issues, challenges, and innovations that mathematics educators have faced over the past eight decades. This Seventy-fifth Yearbook is a celebration and reflection of the history of the NCTM yearbooks as a great resource on the key issues of mathematics education through the years. The first yearbook, A General Survey of Progress in the Last Twenty-Five Years, was published in 1926, just six years after NCTM's founding. Since then, NCTM yearbooks have consistently focused special attention on a wide spectrum of topics of current or future interest to the professional community of mathematics educators. This book will be the last volume in an exceptional series and is a reflection of where we have been, where we are now, and where we are going.
(source: Nielsen Book Data)9780873537384 20160612
- Publication date
- Yearbook ; 75th
- "This seventy-fifth volume will be the last in an illlustrious series. Beginning next year, a new publication titled Annual Perspectives in Mathematics Education (APME) will be issued by NCTM to replace the production of annual yearbooks"--P. vii.
Browse related items
Start at call number: