Wearing Gauss's jersey
- Dean Hathout.
- Boca Raton, FL : CRC Press, 
- Physical description
- xvii, 257 pages : illustrations ; 24 cm
Science Library (Li and Ma)
|QA299.4 .G3 H38 2013||Unknown|
- Hathout, Dean.
- Includes bibliographical references (pages 253) and index.
- Arithmetic and Geometric Series Counting and Combinatorics Number Theory Algebra Complex Numbers and Trigonometry Changing Perspective Miscellaneous Challenging Problems Epilogue and Acknowledgments Problem and Figure Credits Sources and Suggested Reading Index.
- (source: Nielsen Book Data)9781466508644 20160612
- Publisher's Summary
- Wearing Gauss's Jersey focuses on "Gauss problems, " problems that can be very tedious and time consuming when tackled in a traditional, straightforward way but if approached in a more insightful fashion, can yield the solution much more easily and elegantly. The book shows how mathematical problem solving can be fun and how students can improve their mathematical insight, regardless of their initial level of knowledge. Illustrating the underlying unity in mathematics, it also explores how problems seemingly unrelated on the surface are actually extremely connected to each other. Each chapter starts with easy problems that demonstrate the simple insight/mathematical tools necessary to solve problems more efficiently. The text then uses these simple tools to solve more difficult problems, such as Olympiad-level problems, and develop more complex mathematical tools. The longest chapters investigate combinatorics as well as sequences and series, which are some of the most well-known Gauss problems. These topics would be very tedious to handle in a straightforward way but the book shows that there are easier ways of tackling them.
(source: Nielsen Book Data)9781466508644 20160612
- Publication date
- "An A.K. Peters book."
- 9781466508644 (hardback)
- 1466508647 (hardback)
Browse related items
Start at call number: