John Dewey, Liang Shuming, and China's education reform : cultivating individuality
- Huajun Zhang.
- Lanham, Maryland : Lexington Books, 2013.
- Physical description
- vi, 181 pages ; 24 cm
Education Library (Cubberley)
|LA1131.82 .Z35 2013||Unknown|
- Zhang, Huajun.
- Includes bibliographical references (pages 173-178) and index.
- Introduction Chapter 1: Individuality in the Rapidly Changing Chinese Society Chapter 2: The Conception of Individuality in Chinese History: Exploring the Ideal Person for a Modern Society Chapter 3: Initiating a Dialogue with John Dewey and Liang Shuming on Individuality Chapter 4: Cultivating Individuality: A Dialogue with John Dewey and Liang Shuming Chapter 5: Cultivating a Unique but Inclusive Individuality Chapter 6: Cultivating Individuality: Narrative as Pedagogy Chapter 7: Cultivating Individuality: A Vision for China's Education Reform.
- (source: Nielsen Book Data)9780739147924 20160612
- Publisher's Summary
- This book explores the central question of how to cultivate a continued sense of self in the radically changing Chinese society, a question that is highly related to the current ongoing educational reform. If education cannot respond to the problem of students' disconnection from the changing society, learning cannot truly happen in school and the reform will fail. Zhang suggests a philosophy of education that highlights the cultivation of students' unique but inclusive individuality so that students learn how to nurture their own mind in this profoundly changing society rather than becoming empty and lost. The discussion of this proposed question is inspired by the thoughts of the American pragmatist John Dewey and Chinese Confucian scholar Liang Shuming. It is not the author's intention to have a pure philosophical discussion, but rather to refer to their philosophies to help answer the practical question of cultivating individuality in an educational setting during this period of China's modern transition.
(source: Nielsen Book Data)9780739147924 20160612
- Publication date
- 9780739147924 (cloth : alk. paper)
- 0739147927 (cloth : alk. paper)
- 9780739183489 (electronic)
- 0739183486 (electronic)
Browse related items
Start at call number: