Education in Afghanistan : developments, influences and legacies since 1901
- Yahia Baiza.
- London ; New York : Routledge, 2013.
- Physical description
- xvii, 313 pages : illustrations ; 25 cm
- Routledge studies in Middle Eastern society.
Education Library (Cubberley)
LA1081 .B35 2013
- Unknown LA1081 .B35 2013
- Baiza, Yahia, 1969-
- Includes bibliographical references (pages -310) and index.
- 1 Introduction 2 International Historical and Political Context and its Impact on National Politics 3 The Emergence of Modern Education (1901-1919) 4 Educational Modernization (1919-1929) 5 Tribal Politics and Selective Education (1929-1978) 6 Education, War and Migration (1978-1992) 7 Educational Fragmentation (1992-2001) 8 The Redevelopment and Reconstruction of Modern Education (2001-2012) 9 Conclusion.
- (source: Nielsen Book Data)
- Publisher's Summary
- A comprehensive and up to date study of the history of education in Afghanistan since 1901, this book demonstrates how modern education emerged and charts its fluctuating process of development, regression and destruction. Combining historical and contemporary analysis of key international and national, political, and historical issues from the late nineteenth century to the present day, Education in Afghanistan examines; religion, modernism, tribal and ethnic conflict, language discrimination, foreign invasions, war, and international assistance through the lens of education. An in-depth understanding of these elements will provide alternative approaches to addressing the on-going conflict in Afghanistan, which has a direct effect on the overall educational development and policy-making decisions in the country. Offering a new perspective to the conflict in Afghanistan by addressing its impact on education, this book will be an invaluable resource for students and researchers interested in the formation of education policy, social and political reform in the Middle East, and Islamic Studies.
(source: Nielsen Book Data)
- Publication date
- Routledge studies in Middle Eastern society
- 9780415621991 (hardback)
- 0415621992 (hardback)
- 9780203394342 (e-book)
- 0203394348 (e-book)