Advances in food science and technology [electronic resource]
- edited by Visakh P.M. [et al.].
- New York : Wiley, 2013.
- Physical description
- 1 online resource (326 p.)
- Includes bibliographical references and index.
- List of Contributors 000 1 Food Chemistry and Technology Visakh P.M, Sabu Thomas, Laura B. Iturriaga and Pablo Daniel Ribotta 1.1 Food Security 1 1.2 Nanotechnology in Food Applications 4 1.3 Frozen Food and Technology 5 1.4 Chemical and Functional Properties of Food Components 7 1.5 Food: Production, Properties and Quality 8 1.6 Safety of Enzyme Preparations Used in Food 10 1.7 Trace Element Speciation in Food 11 1.8 Bio-nanocomposites for Natural Food Packaging 13 References 14 2 Food Security: A Global Problem 19 Donatella Restuccia, Umile Gianfranco Spizzirri, Francesco Puoci, Giuseppe Cirillo, Ortensia Ilaria Parisi, Giuliana Vinci and Nevio Picci 2.1 Food Security: Definitions and Basic Concepts 20 2.2 Main Causes of Food Insecurity 27 2.3 The Food Insecurity Dimension 50 2.4 Conclusions 93 References 95 3 Nanotechnology in Food Applications 103 Rui M. S. Cruz, Javiera F. Rubilar, Igor Khmelinskii and MargaridaC.Vieira 3.1 What is Nanotechnology? 103 3.2 Food Formulations 105 3.3 Food Packaging 107 3.4 Regulation Issues and Consumer Perception 115 References 116 4 Frozen Food and Technology 123 Elisabete M. C. Alexandre, Teresa R. S. Brandao and CristinaL. M. Silva 4.1 Introduction 124 4.2 Treatments: Pre-freezing 125 4.3 Freezing Process 129 4.4 Freezing Methods and Equipment 131 4.5 Effect of Freezing and Frozen Storage on Food Properties 142 4.6 Final Remarks 146 References 147 5 Chemical and Functional Properties of Food Components 151 R. G. Campos-Montiel, D. J. Pimentel-Gonzalez and A. C. Figueira 5.1 Introduction 151 5.2 Functional and Chemical Properties of Food Components 152 5.3 Nutritional Value and Sensory Properties of Food 168 5.4 Postharvest Storage and Processing 174 5.5 Conclusion 177 Acknowledgements 178 References 178 6 Food: Production, Properties and Quality 185 Yantyati Widyastuti, Tatik Khusniati and Endang Sutriswati Rahayu 6.1 Introduction 185 6.2 Food Production 186 6.3 Factors Affecting Production and Improvement of Food 187 6.4 Food Properties 196 6.5 Food Quality 197 References 199 7 Regulatory Aspects of Food Ingredients in the United States: Focus on the Safety of Enzyme Preparations Used in Food 201 Shayla West-Barnette and Jannavi R. Srinivasan 7.1 Introduction 202 7.2 Regulatory History of Food Ingredients: Guided by Safety 202 7.3 Scientific Advancement as Part of the Regulatory History of Enzyme Preparations 206 7.4 Safety Evaluation of Enzyme Preparations 216 7.5 Conclusion 223 Acknowledgements 223 References 223 8 Trace Element Speciation in Food 227 Paula Berton, Estefania M. Martinis and Rodolfo G. Wuilloud 8.1 Introduction 228 8.2 Implications of Toxic Elements Speciation for Food Safety 230 8.3 Elemental Species and Its Impact on the Nutritional Value of Food 238 8.4 Elemental Species in Food Processing 243 8.5 Potential Functional Food Derived from Health Benefits of Elemental Species 246 8.6 Analytical Methods for Food Elemental Speciation Analysis 249 8.7 Conclusions 256 References 257 9 Bionanocomposites for Natural Food Packing 265 Bibin Mathew Cherian, Gabriel Molina de Olyveira, Ligia Maria Manzine Costa, Alcides Lopes Leao, Marcia Morais, Sivoney Ferreira de Souza and Suresh Narine 9.1 Introduction 266 9.2 Natural Biopolymer-based Films 267 9.3 Modification of Film Properties 274 9.4 Environmental Impact of Bionanocomposites Materials 290 9.5 Conclusions and Future Perspectives 294 References 294.
- (source: Nielsen Book Data)
- Publisher's Summary
- This book comprehensively reviews research on new developments in all areas of food chemistry/science and technology. It covers topics such as food safety objectives, risk assessment, quality assurance and control, good manufacturing practices, food process systems design and control and rapid methods of analysis and detection, as well as sensor technology, environmental control and safety. The book focuses on food chemistry and examines chemical and mechanical modifications to generate novel properties, functions, and applications.
(source: Nielsen Book Data)
- Publication date
- Description based upon print version of record.
- Available in another form
- Print version: Thomas, Sabu Advances in Food Science and Technology New York : Wiley, c2013 ( 9781118121023 )
- 9781118659083 (electronic bk.)
- 1118659082 (electronic bk.)