The health care case : the Supreme Court's decision and its implications
- edited by Nathaniel Persily, Gillian E. Metzger and Trevor W. Morrison.
- Oxford : Oxford University Press, 
- Physical description
- xiv, 386 pages : illustrations ; 25 cm
Law Library (Crown)
|KF228 .N34 H43 2013||Unknown|
- Persily, Nathaniel Stanford Law School graduate, J.D. (1998) editor of compilation.
- Metzger, Gillian E., 1965- editor of compilation.
- Morrison, Trevor W. editor of compilation.
- Includes bibliographical references and index.
- Introduction / Nathaniel Persily, Gillian E. Metzger and Trevor W. Morrison
- The court affirms the social contract / Jack M. Balkin
- Who won the Obamacare case? / Randy E. Barnett
- A most improbable 1787 Constitution : a (mostly) originalist critique of the constitutionality of the ACA / Richard E. Epstein
- The June surprises : balls, strikes, and the fog of war / Charles fried
- Much ado : the potential impact of the Supreme Court decision upholding the Affordable Care Act / Robert N. Weiner
- The missing due process argument / Jamal Greene
- "Necessary, " "proper, " and health care reform / Andrew Koppelman
- The presumption of constitutionality and the individual mandate / Gillian E. Metzger and Trevor W. Morrison
- The individual mandate and the proper meaning of "proper" / Ilya Somin
- Judicial minimalism, the mandate, and Mr. Roberts / Jonathan H. Adler
- Is it the Roberts court? / Linda Greenhouse
- More law than politics : the chief, the "mandate, " legality, and statesmanship / Neil S. Siegel
- The secret history of the chief justice's Obamacare decision / John Fabian Witt
- Federalism by waiver after the Health Care case / Samuel R. Bagenstos
- The Health Care case in the public mind : opinion on the Supreme Court and health reform in a polarized era / Andrea Louise Campbell and Nathaniel Persily
- Federalism from federal statutes : health reform, Medicaid and the old-fashioned Federalists' gamble / Abbe R. Gluck
- Constitutional uncertainty and the design of social insurance : reflections on the ACA case / Michael J. Graetz and Jerry L. Mashaw
- The Affordable Care Act and the Constitution : beyond National Federation of Independent Business v. Sebelius / Timothy Stoltzfus Jost
- Medicaid's next fifty years : aligning an old program with the new normal / Sara Rosenbaum
- Health policy devolution and the institutional hydraulics of the Affordable Care Act / Theodore W. Ruger.
- Publisher's Summary
- The Supreme Court's decision in the Health Care Case, NFIB v. Sebelius, gripped the nation's attention during the spring of 2012. No one could have predicted the strange coalition of justices and arguments that would eventually lead the Court to uphold the Affordable Care Act's principal provisions. The constitutional case against the ACA was originally written off as frivolous, but after oral argument at the Court, many predicted that the unthinkable had now become likely. When the Supreme Court delivered its complicated and fractured decision, it offered new interpretations to four different clauses in the Constitution. This volume gathers together reactions to the decision from an ideologically diverse selection of the nation's leading scholars of constitutional, administrative, and health law. They offer novel insights into the meaning of the health care decision for President Obama, the Roberts Court, and the debate over constitutional interpretation.
(source: Nielsen Book Data)
- National Federation of Independent Business > Trials, litigation, etc.
- Sebelius, Kathleen, 1948- > Trials, litigation, etc.
- Health insurance > Law and legislation > United States.
- Medical care > Finance > Law and legislation > United States.
- Health care reform > United States.
- Health care reform > Economic aspects > United States.
- Publication date
- Title Variation
- Healthcare case
- 9780199301058 (hardback : alk. paper)
- 0199301050 (hardback : alk. paper)
- 9780199301065 (pbk. : alk. paper)
- 0199301069 (pbk. : alk. paper)
Browse related items
Start at call number: