Embracing the social and the creative : new scenarios for teacher education
- edited by Miriam Ben-Peretz, with Sara Kleeman, Rivka Reichenberg, and Sarah Shimoni.
- Lanham : Rowman & Littlefield Education, 
- Copyright notice
- Physical description
- xiii, 190 pages ; 23 cm
Education Library (Cubberley)
|LB1707 .E62 2013||Unknown|
- Includes bibliographical references and index.
- Contents Foreword Acknowledgements Introduction PART I: Teacher Education in the Service of Change 1. General Issues in Teacher Education Lilian G. Katz 2. History, Policy, and the Professional Lives of Teacher Educators in England David Crook and Gary McCulloch 3. Three Decades of Teacher Education in Israel and Their Impact on the Professional Development of Teacher Educators Yuval Dror 4. Teacher-Educators in the Midst of Scottish Educational Reform Sally Brown 5. Teacher Educators as Agents of Change: A Hong Kong Perspective Teresa Tsui-san NG, John Chi-Kin LEE and Chun Kwok LAU PART II: A Look into the Future: Societal Issues in Teacher Education 6. Teacher Education as Drama: Possible Roles for Teacher Educators Miriam Ben-Peretz and Efrat Toov Ward 7. Feminine Culture and Teacher Education Michal Zellermayer and Esther Herzog 8. Preparing Teachers for Teaching Dilemmas Raised by Race and Racism: One Case Example of Teacher Education for Social Justice Anna E. Richert and Colette Rabin 9. Environmental Education for Sustainability as Values Education- The Challenge for Teacher Educators Sara Pe'er, Bela Yavetz and Daphne Goldman 10. Teacher Education for the 21st Century: Are We Preparing Teachers for Obsolete Schools? Debbie Samuels-Peretz About the Contributors Index.
- (source: Nielsen Book Data)9781475802931 20160611
- Publisher's Summary
- The guiding idea of this book concerns the nature of teacher education in the future, viewing the understanding of the history of teacher education in different context as the basis for future development. Special emphasis is given to matters of race and gender as well as on the special status and roles of teacher education in a globalized, uncertain, and anxiety-ridden world. Viewing teacher education as drama provides lenses and insights for the construction of teacher education. The book is divided into two parts. Part I is entitled Teacher education in the service of change. This part presents cases of the role of teacher education in reform movements in different cultures, and the impact of social changes across time on teacher education. Part II, A look into the future: societal issues in teacher education, focuses on several critical societal issues such as racism, feminism and environmental sustainability.
(source: Nielsen Book Data)9781475802931 20160611
- Publication date
- Copyright date
- Published in partnership with the MOFET Institute.
- 9781475802924 (cloth : alk. paper)
- 1475802927 (cloth : alk. paper)
- 9781475802931 (pbk. : alk. paper)
- 1475802935 (pbk. : alk. paper)
- 9781475802948 (electronic)
- 1475802943 (electronic)
Browse related items
Start at call number: