How to study as a mathematics major
- Lara Alcock.
- First edition.
- Oxford : Oxford University Press, 2013.
- Physical description
- xvi, 272 pages : illustrations ; 20 cm
Science Library (Li and Ma)
|QA37.3 .A43 2013||Unknown|
- Alcock, Lara.
- Includes bibliographical references (pages 248-262) and index.
- PART 1: MATHEMATICS -- Introduction -- 1. Calculation Procedures -- 2. Abstract Objects -- 3. Definitions -- 4. Theorems -- 5. Proof -- 6. Proof Types and Tricks -- 7. Reading Mathematics -- 8. Writing Mathematics -- PART 2: STUDY SKILLS -- 9. Lectures -- 10. Other People -- 11. Time Management -- 12. Panic -- 13. (Not) Being the Best -- 14. What Mathematics Professors Do.
- (source: Nielsen Book Data)9780199661312 20160612
- Publisher's Summary
- Every year, thousands of students in the USA declare mathematics as their major. Many are extremely intelligent and hardworking. However, even the best will encounter challenges, because upper-level mathematics involves not only independent study and learning from lectures, but also a fundamental shift from calculation to proof. This shift is demanding but it need not be mysterious - research has revealed many insights into the mathematical thinking required, and this book translates these into practical advice for a student audience. It covers every aspect of studying as a mathematics major, from tackling abstract intellectual challenges to interacting with professors and making good use of study time. Part 1 discusses the nature of upper-level mathematics, and explains how students can adapt and extend their existing skills in order to develop good understanding. Part 2 covers study skills as these relate to mathematics, and suggests practical approaches to learning effectively while enjoying undergraduate life. As the first mathematics-specific study guide, this friendly, practical text is essential reading for any mathematics major.
(source: Nielsen Book Data)9780199661312 20160612
- Publication date
- Title Variation
- How to study as a math major
- 9780199661312 (pbk.)
- 0199661316 (pbk.)
Browse related items
Start at call number: