The Wiley-Blackwell companion to sociology
- Chichester, West Sussex, UK ; Malden, MA : Wiley-Blackwell, 2012.
- Physical description
- xvii, 661 p. : ill. ; 26 cm.
- Blackwell companions to sociology.
- Ritzer, George.
- Includes bibliographical references and index.
- Notes on Contributors viii Introduction 1 George Ritzer PART I INTRODUCTION 7 1 Philosophy and Sociology 9 Stephen Turner 2 A Selective History of Sociology 25 Alan Sica 3 Quantitative Methods 55 Russell K. Schutt 4 Qualitative Methods 73 Mitchell Duneier 5 Classical Sociological Theory 82 Alan Sica 6 Contemporary Sociological Theory 98 George Ritzer and William Yagatich PART II BASIC TOPICS IN SOCIOLOGY 119 7 Action, Interaction, and Groups 121 Kimberly B. Rogers and Lynn Smith-Lovin 8 Groups and Institutions, Structures and Processes 139 Murray Webster, Jr. and Jane Sell 9 The Sociology of Organizations 164 Stewart R. Clegg 10 Cultural Analysis 182 John Tomlinson 11 The Changing Life Course 197 Angela M. O'Rand 12 Deviance: A Sociology of Unconventionalities 212 Nachman Ben-Yehuda 13 Criminology 229 Charles F. Wellford 14 Critical Sexualities Studies 243 Ken Plummer 15 Feeling Class: Affect and Culture in the Making of Class Relations 269 Beverley Skeggs 16 Racial and Ethnic Issues: Critical Race Approaches in the United States 287 Brittany Chevon Slatton and Joe R. Feagin 17 Genders and Sexualities in Global Context: An Intersectional Assessment of Contemporary Scholarship 304 Nancy A. Naples and Barbara Gurr 18 Changing Families: Fluidity, Partnership, and Family Structure 333 Graham Allan and Emma Head 19 Sociology of Education 348 Maureen T. Hallinan and Ge Liu 20 Sociology of Religion 367 Christian Smith and Robert D. Woodberry 21 Current Directions in Medical Sociology 385 William C. Cockerham 22 Media and Communications 402 John Durham Peters and Jefferson D. Pooley 23 Work and Employment 418 Steven P. Vallas 24 The Sociology of Consumption 444 P. J. Rey and George Ritzer 25 Population 470 Suzanne M. Bianchi and Vanessa Wight 26 Urbanization 488 Kevin Fox Gotham 27 Environmental Sociology 504 Richard York and Riley E. Dunlap 28 Social Movements 522 Remy Cross and David A. Snow 29 Globalization 545 Paul Dean and George Ritzer PART III CUTTING EDGE ISSUES IN SOCIOLOGY 565 30 After Neoliberalism: Whither Capitalism? 567 Robert J. Antonio 31 Organized Coercion and Political Authority: Armed Conflict in a World of States 588 Meyer Kestnbaum 32 Science and Technology: Now and in the Future 609 Mark Erickson and Frank Webster 33 The Internet, Web 2.0, and Beyond 626 Nathan Jurgenson and George Ritzer Index 649.
- (source: Nielsen Book Data)
- Publisher's Summary
- Featuring a collection of original chapters by leading and emerging scholars, The Wiley-Blackwell Companion to Sociology presents a comprehensive and balanced overview of the major topics and emerging trends in the discipline of sociology today. Features original chapters contributed by an international cast of leading and emerging sociology scholars Represents the most innovative and 'state-of-the-art' thinking about the discipline Includes a general introduction and section introductions with chapters summaries by the editor.
(source: Nielsen Book Data)
- Publication date
- edited by George Ritzer.
- Title Variation
- Companion to sociology
- Wiley-Blackwell companions to sociology
- 9781444330397 (hbk.)
- 144433039X (hbk.)
- 9781444347357 (ePDF)
- 1444347357 (ePDF)
- 9781444347388 (Wiley Online Library)
- 1444347381 (Wiley Online Library)
- 9781444347364 (ePub)
- 1444347365 (ePub)
- 9781444347371 Mobi)
- 1444347373 Mobi)