A primer of botanical Latin with vocabulary
- Short, Emma, 1964- author.
- English, Latin. English and Latin.
- Cambridge, U.K. : Cambridge University Press, 2013.
- Physical description
- xv, 292 pages ; 23 cm
QK10 .S54 2013
- In-library use QK10 .S54 2013
- George, A. S. (Alex S.), 1939- author.
- Includes bibliographical references (pages -290) and index.
- Dedication-- Preface-- Acknowledgements-- Introduction-- Part I. Grammar: 1. The noun-- 2. The adjective and the participle-- 3. The adverb-- 4. The preposition-- 5. The conjunction-- 6. The pronoun-- 7. The verb-- 8. Numerals, measurements-- 9. Prefixes and suffixes-- 10. Miscellany-- Part II. Exercises in Translation: 11. Exercises-- 12. Answers to the exercises-- Part III. Translating: 13. Translating into Latin-- 14. Translating from Latin into English-- Part IV. Vocabulary: References-- Further reading-- Index.
- (source: Nielsen Book Data)
- Publisher's Summary
- Latin is one of two acceptable languages for describing new plants, and taxonomists must be able to translate earlier texts in Latin. Providing a simple explanation of Latin grammar along with an in-depth vocabulary, this is an indispensable guide for systematic botanists worldwide. All relevant parts of speech are discussed, with accompanying examples as well as worked exercises for translating diagnoses and descriptions to and from Latin. Guidelines for forming specific epithets are also included. The authors cross-reference their grammar to Stearn's Botanical Latin and to articles in the International Code of Nomenclature for Algae, Fungi and Plants. The comprehensive vocabulary is enhanced with terms from recent glossaries for non-flowering plants - lichens, mosses, algae, fungi and ferns - making this an ideal resource for anyone looking to hone their understanding of Latin grammar and to translate botanical texts from the past 300 years.
(source: Nielsen Book Data)
- Supplemental links
Table of contents only
Contributor biographical information
- Publication date
- Emma Short, Darwin, Northern Territory, Australia, Alex George AM, Murdoch University, Perth, Western Australia.
- 9781107693753 (paperback)
- 1107693756 (paperback)