Bone histology of fossil tetrapods : advancing methods, analysis, and interpretation
- edited by Kevin Padian, Ellen-Thérèse Lamm.
- Berkeley, Calif. : University of California Press, c2013.
- Physical description
- xi, 285 p. : ill. (some col.) ; 24 cm.
Earth Sciences Library (Branner)
|QE841 .B674 2013||Unknown|
- Includes bibliographical references.
- Preface Chapter 1. Why study the bone microstructure of fossil tetrapods? Kevin Padian Chapter 2. Biology of Bone Adam K. Huttenlocker, Holly Woodward, and Brian K. Hall Chapter 3. Selection of Specimens Kevin Padian, Ellen-Therese Lamm, and Sarah Werning Chapter 4. Preparation and Sectioning of Specimens Ellen-Therese Lamm Chapter 5. Image Standardization in Paleohistology Timothy Bromage and Sarah Werning Chapter 6. Database Standardization Laura Wilson and Maria de Boef Miara Chapter 7. Skeletochronology Holly N. Woodward, Kevin Padian, and Andrew H. Lee Chapter 8. Analysis of Growth Rates Andrew H. Lee, Adam K. Huttenlocker, Kevin Padian, and Holly N. Woodward Chapter 9. Evolution of Growth Rates and their Implications Kevin Padian and Koen Stein Chapter 10. Research Applications and Integration Kevin Padian , Maria de Boef Miara, Hans C.E. Larsson, Laura Wilson, and Timothy Bromage.
- (source: Nielsen Book Data)9780520273528 20160612
- Publisher's Summary
- The microscopic examination of fossilized bone tissue is a sophisticated and increasingly important analytical tool for understanding the life history of ancient organisms. This book provides an essential primer and manual for using fossil bone histology to investigate the biology of extinct tetrapods. Twelve experts summarize advances in the field over the past three decades, reviewing fundamental basics of bone microanatomy and physiology. Research specimen selection, thin-section preparation, and data analysis are addressed in detail. The authors also outline methods and issues in bone growth rate calculation and chronological age determination, as well as how to examine broader questions of behavior, ecology, and evolution by studying the microstructure of bone.
(source: Nielsen Book Data)9780520273528 20160612
- Publication date
- 9780520273528 (cloth : alk. paper)
- 0520273524 (cloth : alk. paper)
Browse related items
Start at call number: