The arts and emergent bilingual youth : building culturally responsive, critical, and creative education in school and community contexts
- [edited by] Sharon Verner Chappell and Christian J. Faltis.
- New York : Routledge, 2013.
- Physical description
- xix, 220 pages : illustrations ; 24 cm
Education Library (Cubberley)
LC3621 .A78 2013
- Unknown LC3621 .A78 2013
- Includes bibliographical references and index.
- Young writers program for migrant youth / Elizabeth Lewis.
- Publisher's Summary
- The Arts and Emergent Bilingual Youth offers a critical sociopolitical perspective on working with emerging bilingual youth at the intersection of the arts and language learning. Utilizing research from both arts and language education to explore the ways they work in tandem to contribute to emergent bilingual students' language and academic development, the book analyzes model arts projects to raise questions about "best practices" for and with marginalized bilingual young people, in terms of relevance to their languages, cultures, and communities as they envision better worlds. A central assumption is that the arts can be especially valuable for contributing to English learning by enabling learners to experience ideas, patterns, and relationship (form) in ways that lead to new knowledge (content). Each chapter features vignettes showcasing current projects with ELL populations both in and out of school and visual art pieces and poems, to prompt reflection on key issues and relevant concepts and theories in the arts and language learning. Taking a stance about language and culture in English learners' lives, this book shows the intimate connections among art, narrative, and resistance for addressing topics of social injustice.
(source: Nielsen Book Data)
- Included Work
- Cahnmann-Taylor, Melisa Knowing your students, becoming a culturally responsive teacher.
- Publication date
- 9780415509732 (alk. paper)
- 0415509734 (alk. paper)
- 9780415509749 (pbk. : alk. paper)
- 0415509742 (pbk. : alk. paper)
- 9780203124680 (ebk)
- 0203124685 (ebk)