The German student movement and the literary imagination : transnational memories of protest and dissent
- Susanne Rinner.
- New York : Berghahn Books, 2013.
- Physical description
- 174 p. ; 24 cm.
- Protest, culture and society ; v. 9.
- Rinner, Susanne.
- Includes bibliographical references (p. -170) and index.
- Introduction: trans/national memories of 1968
- Remember? 1968 in German fiction
- Forget it? 1968 in East Germany
- Transatlantic encounters between Germany and the United States as intercultural exchange and generational conflict
- Transnational memories: 1968 and German-Turkish authors
- Conclusion: continued taboos, confirmed canons.
- Publisher's Summary
- Through a close reading of novels by Ulrike Kolb, Irmtraud Morgner, Emine Sevgi Ozdamar, Bernhard Schlink, Peter Schneider, and Uwe Timm, this monograph traces the cultural memory of the 1960s student movement in German fiction, revealing layers of remembering and forgetting that go beyond conventional boundaries of time and space. These novels engage this seemingly German memory contest by constructing a palimpsest of memories that reshape the readers' understanding of the 1960s with respect to the end of the Cold War and to the legacy of the Third Reich and the Holocaust. Topographically, these novels refute assertions that East Germans were isolated from the political upheaval that took place in the late 1960s and 1970s in the West and the East. Through their aesthetic appropriations and subversions, multicultural contributions challenge conventional understandings of German identity and at the same time lay down claims of belonging within a German society that is more openly diverse than ever before.
(source: Nielsen Book Data)9780857457547 20160612
- German fiction > 20th century > History and criticism.
- Student movements in literature.
- Opposition (Political science) in literature.
- Social conflict in literature.
- Memory in literature.
- Literature and transnationalism.
- Social change in literature.
- Literature and society > Germany > History > 20th century.
- Influence (Literary, artistic, etc.) > History > 20th century.
- Publication date
- Title Variation
- Transnational memories of protest and dissent
- Protest, culture, and society ; v. 9
- 9780857457547 (hardback : acid-free paper)
- 0857457543 (hardback : acid-free paper)
- 9780857457554 (e-book)
- 0857457551 (e-book)
Browse related items
Start at call number: