- San Francisco, Calif. : The Thing, 2007-
- Physical description
- various pieces ; 10 x 10 cm-214 x 99 cm in boxes, sleeves, or tubes 16 x 16 cm-8 x 125 x 8 cm
At the library
Art & Architecture Library (Bowes)
Locked stacks (Large) Request (opens in new tab)
Locked stacks (Medium)
Request (opens in new tab)
Locked stacks (Oversize)
Request (opens in new tab)
Library has: issue 3, 6
|N7433.3 .T428 ISS.3||In-library use|
|N7433.3 .T428 ISS.6||In-library use|
|N7433.3 .T428 ISS.34||In-library use|
Library has: issue 1-
2, 4- 5, 7- 34
|N7433.3 .T428 ISS.2||In-library use|
|N7433.3 .T428 ISS.3.5||In-library use|
|N7433.3 .T428 ISS.4||In-library use|
|N7433.3 .T428 ISS.5||In-library use|
|N7433.3 .T428 ISS.7||In-library use|
|N7433.3 .T428 ISS.8||In-library use|
|N7433.3 .T428 ISS.9||In-library use|
|N7433.3 .T428 ISS.10||In-library use|
|N7433.3 .T428 ISS.11||In-library use|
|N7433.3 .T428 ISS.12||In-library use|
|N7433.3 .T428 ISS.13||In-library use|
|N7433.3 .T428 ISS.14||In-library use|
|N7433.3 .T428 ISS.15||In-library use|
|N7433.3 .T428 ISS.16||In-library use|
|N7433.3 .T428 ISS.17||In-library use|
|N7433.3 .T428 ISS.18||In-library use|
|N7433.3 .T428 ISS.19||In-library use|
|N7433.3 .T428 ISS.20||In-library use|
|N7433.3 .T428 ISS.21||In-library use|
|N7433.3 .T428 ISS.22||In-library use|
|N7433.3 .T428 ISS.23||In-library use|
|N7433.3 .T428 ISS.24||In-library use|
|N7433.3 .T428 ISS.25||In-library use|
|N7433.3 .T428 ISS.26||In-library use|
|N7433.3 .T428 ISS.27||In-library use|
|N7433.3 .T428 ISS.28||In-library use|
|N7433.3 .T428 ISS.29||In-library use|
|N7433.3 .T428 ISS.30||In-library use|
|N7433.3 .T428 ISS.31||In-library use|
|N7433.3 .T428 ISS.32||In-library use|
|N7433.3 .T428 ISS.33||In-library use|
Library has: issue 1
|N7433.3 .T428 ISS.1||In-library use|
- Allora, Jennifer, 1974-
- Auerbach, Tauba, 1981-
- Baldessari, John, 1931-2020
- Calzadilla, Guillermo, 1971-
- Chung, Doo-Ri.
- Creed, Martin, 1968-
- Donnelly, Trisha, 1974-
- Ebner, Shannon.
- Eggers, Dave.
- Ezawa, Kota.
- Franco, James, 1978-
- Fulford, Jason.
- Gander, Ryan.
- Grabner, Michelle.
- Green, Jeff.
- Herschend, Jonn.
- Higgs, Matthew.
- Johanson, Chris, 1968-
- July, Miranda, 1974-
- Kagami, Ken.
- Kine, Starlee.
- Korty, David, 1971-
- Lethem, Jonathan.
- Malašauskas, Raimundas.
- Marcopoulos, Ari, 1957-
- Marcus, Ben, 1967-
- Mills, Mike, 1966-
- Muller, Dave, 1964-
- Nichols, Tucker, 1970-
- Orozco, Gabriel, 1962-
- Paglen, Trevor.
- Pullen, Lucy, 1971-
- Roettinger, Brian.
- Rogan, Will, 1975-
- Ross-Ho, Amanda, 1975-
- Shopsin, Tamara.
- Shrigley, David.
- Swallow, Ricky, 1974-
- Walsh, Anne (Anne G.)
- Experimental Jet Set.
- MacFadden & Thorpe (Firm)
- Rodarte (Firm)
- Thing Quarterly (Firm), issuing body.
- [Issue 1.] [Window shade] [sent in a mailing tube] / Miranda July (window shade with text written on it begining, "If this shade is down ... " ; includes mounting brackets)
- 2. A door stop / Anne Walsh (rubber door stop with a 1973 letter from Walsh to Bille Jean King printed on it)
- 3. [Three things] / Kota Ezawa (the standard issue box with "thing three" in Russian printed on it, a baseball cap with "thing three" in Arabic embroidered on it, a letter from the editor translated into Mandarin which includes the words for thing and for three)
- Issue 3 1/2. Coaster = beer mats / Tucker Nichols (four beer mats, 3 with text from Eureka, CA, businesses, 1 with the name Denise)
- 4. A secret issue / Trisha Donnelly (a 4-inch plastic phonodisc embedded in a rectangular plastic plate)
- 5. Event being (a piece of wood [Canadian white ash], mathematically bisected, with the words "Event being" drilled in at two angles and a small poster of the original design)
- 6. Book shelf shoe tree / Allora & Calzadilla (sneaker with one shoe lace bound in blank book with cover title Problems & promises)
- 7. The chaldron optical system / Jonathan Lethem (pair of glasses in case)
- 8. Alien Technology Exploitation Division, yltlhobQo' Jay' / Trevor Paglen (a ceramic military style coffee mug with logo on it [title from logo]
- 9. Parallel cards / Ryan Gander (deck of cards, printed on both sides, in a box along with instructions for playing a game of parallel blackjack)
- 10. Crying instructions / Starlee Kine (a bamboo cutting board for cutting onions with text on surface and a poster of the "The wire" tv series character Jimmy McNulty crying with "Crying instructions" on verso.
- 11. I wish you well / Chris Johanson (2 ceramic wine cups with "I wish you well on bottom," a poster of the moon, and instructions for drinking wine and relaxing with friends; in box with title: The thing and Chris Johanson invites you to relax and enjoy the evening)
- 12. Doo.Ri / Jeff Green and Doo-Ri Chung (tee shirt with grommets [for display] and 3-foot long tag listing all possible sizes, fabrics, washing instructions, locations of manufacture; two push pins are included )
- 13. My advice / Matthew Higgs & Martin Creed (a 12 inch vinyl picture disc with Matthew Higgs on one side and Martin Creed on the other and with track "My advice on one side and a printed sheet with recording credits)
- 14. James Franco / James Franco (a mirror with a wallet-size photo of Brad Renfro stuck in the frame and, in lipstick on the mirror, the words "Brad forever" written by James Franco; also two photos of Franco getting his arm tattooed with the name "Brad")
- 15. Flag code / MacFadden & Thorpe (three-color flag [24 x 36 inches] in triangular box and accompanied by printed sheet with instructions on how to fold the flag)
- 16. I am your shower curtain ... / Dave Eggers (shower curtain [72 x 72 inches] printed with the text of a monologue told to Eggers by his shower curtain)
- 17. Bottle of maple syrup with poster / Shannon Ebner
- 18. "The Fabric of Events" (2013 pocket calendar) / Mike Mills
- 19. "The Travel Issue" (leather travel wallet with four phrase cards and passport book) / David Shrigley
- 20. 24-hour wall clock / Tauba Auerbach
- 21. Custom tin of Thompson Cream / Ben Marcus
- 22. Two standard pillowcases / John Baldessari
- 23. Six hand-made ceramic dice with custom dice-carrying bag / David Korty
- 24. Clear vinyl picture disc in sleeve and jacket / Rodarte
- 25. 412-page catalogue raisonné / Brian Roettinger
- 26. "Black Feather" (boomerang) / Gabriel Orozco
- 27. Gingham soccer ball / Michelle Grabner
- 28. Ceramic lottery ball / Jason Fulford & Tamara Shopsin
- 29. Porcelain egg cup / Ricky Swallow
- 30. Collar / Raimundas Malašauskas
- 31. A bath towel with smiling body parts / Ken Kagami
- 32. All-purpose wearable protest blanket / Experimental Jet Set
- 33. Hand-blown drinking glass and world map / Amanda Ross
- 34. Book end and book / Dave Muller.
- "The Thing Quarterly is a periodical in the form of an object. Each year, four artists, writers, musicians or filmmakers are invited by the editors (Jonn Herschend and Will Rogan) to create an everyday object that somehow incorporates text. This object will be reproduced and hand wrapped at a wrapping party and then mailed to the homes of the subscribers with the help of the United States Postal Service"--The Thing Web site, viewed Sept. 14, 2009.
- Art, Modern > 21st century > Periodicals.
- Artists' books > Periodicals.
- Conceptual art > United States > Periodicals.
- Literature, Experimental > United States > Periodicals.
- Little magazines > California > San Francisco.
- Art objects > California > San Francisco > Periodicals.
- Words in art > Periodicals.
- Art, Modern.
- Art objects.
- Artists' books.
- Conceptual art.
- Literature, Experimental.
- Little magazines.
- Words in art.
- California > San Francisco.
- United States.
- Beginning date
- Ending date
- Title Variation
- Thing quarterly
- Vol/date range
- Began with: Issue 1 (2007); ceased with: Issue 34.
- Editors: Will Rogan and Jonn Herschend.
- Issue 34 accompanied by: One last thing. (91,  pages : illustrations ; 33 cm); includes essay and summary of each issue; 1 illustrated card inserted.
- Some issues lack dates; release dates given on publisher's Web site.
- Included Work
- One last thing.
Browse related items
Start at call number: