International handbook of research on children's literacy, learning and culture
- Chichester, West Sussex : Wiley-Blackwell, 2013.
- Copyright notice
- Physical description
- xlix, 528 pages : illustrations ; 26 cm
LB1528 .I68 2013
- Unknown LB1528 .I68 2013
- Hall, Kathy, 1952-
- Includes bibliographical references and index.
- Notes on Contributors ix List of Reviewers xxvii Foreword xxix Kris D. Guti'errez Editors' Introduction: Literacy, Learning, and Culture xxxvii Kathy Hall, Teresa Cremin, Barbara Comber, and Luis C. Moll Part I Society, Culture, and Community 1 Literacies in Homes and Communities 3 Kate Pahl and Cathy Burnett 2 Critical Multimodal Literacies: Synergistic Options and Opportunities 15 Margaret Mackey and Margaret Shane 3 Books, Toys, and Tablets: Playing and Learning in the Age of Digital Media 28 Helen Nixon and Erica Hateley 4 Literacy Education in the Age of New Media 42 Bill Green and Catherine Beavis 5 Connecting with Parents and the Community in an Urban Primary School: Creative Partnerships to Build Literacy/ies 54 Pat Thomson and Johanne Clifton 6 At Home and at School: Bridging Literacy for Children from Poor Rural or Marginalized Urban Communities 67 Celia R. Rosemberg, Alejandra Stein, and Florencia Alam 7 Temporality, Trajectory, and Early Literacy Learning 83 Catherine Compton-Lilly 8 'This is a Job for Hazmat Guy!': Global Media Cultures and Children's Everyday Lives 96 Victoria Carrington and Clare Dowdall 9 Literacy as Shared Consciousness: A Neurocultural Analysis 108 Alicia Curtin and Kathy Hall 10 An Ethnographic Long Look: Language and Literacy Over Time and Space in Alaska Native Communities 121 Perry Gilmore and Leisy Wyman 11 Understanding English Language Learners' Literacy from a Cultural Lens: An Asian Perspective 139 Guofang Li 12 Exploring Multiple Literacies from Homes and Communities: A Cross-cultural Comparative Analysis 155 Iliana Reyes and Mois'es Esteban-Guitart 13 Funds of Knowledge in Changing Communities 172 Luis C. Moll, Sandra L. Soto-Santiago, and Lisa Schwartz 14 The Hand of Play in Literacy Learning 184 Shirley Brice Heath Part II School, Culture, and Pedagogy 15 Building Word and World Knowledge in the Early Years 201 Susan B. Neuman, Ashley M. Pinkham, and Tanya Kaefer 16 The Unfulfilled Pedagogical Promise of the Dialogic in Writing: Intertextual Writing Instruction for Diverse Settings 215 Rebecca Jesson, Judy Parr, and Stuart McNaughton 17 Reading Engagement Research: Issues and Challenges 228 Sue Ellis and Cassandra S. Coddington 18 Opening the Classroom Door to Children's Literature: A Review of Research 241 Evelyn Arizpe, Maureen Farrell, and Julie McAdam 19 Writing in Childhood Cultures 258 Anne Haas Dyson and Sophie Dewayani 20 Children's and Teachers' Creativity In and Through Language 275 Teresa Cremin and Janet Maybin 21 Educational Dialogues 291 Karen Littleton and Neil Mercer 22 Literacy and Curriculum: Language and Knowledge in the Classroom 304 Peter Freebody, Eveline Chan, and Georgina Barton 23 The Digital Challenge 319 Sandra Schamroth Abrams and Guy Merchant 24 Digital Literacies in the Primary Classroom 333 Rachael Levy, Dylan Yamada-Rice, and Jackie Marsh 25 Developing Online Reading Comprehension: Changes, Challenges, and Consequences 344 Bernadette Dwyer 26 Hybrid Literacies in a Post-hybrid World: Making a Case for Navigating 359 Elizabeth Birr Moje 27 Official Literacy Practices Co-construct Racialized Bodies: Three Key Ideas to Further Integrate Cultural and 'Racially Literate' Research 373 Karl Kitching 28 Emotional Investments and Crises of Truth: Gender, Class, and Literacies 388 Stephanie Jones and Kristy Shackelford 29 What Does Human Geography Have To Do With Classrooms? 400 Margaret Sheehy 30 Space, Place, and Power: The Spatial Turn in Literacy Research 412 Kathy A. Mills and Barbara Comber Part III Teachers, Culture, and Identity 31 On Becoming Teachers: Knowing and Believing 427 Jennifer I. Hathaway and Victoria J. Risko 32 Reforming How We Prepare Teachers to Teach Literacy: Why? What? How? 440 Brian Cambourne and Julie Kiggins 33 Teachers' Literate Identities 456 Toni Gennrich and Hilary Janks 34 Constructing a Collective Identity: Professional Development for Twenty-first Century Pedagogy 469 Catherine M. Weber and Taffy E. Raphael 35 Raising Literacy Achievement Levels through Collaborative Professional Development 485 Eithne Kennedy and Gerry Shiel 36 Teacher Research on Literacy: Turning Around to Students and Technology 499 Christopher S. Walsh and Barbara Kamler Index 515.
- (source: Nielsen Book Data)
- Publisher's Summary
- The International Handbook of Research in Children's Literacy, Learning and Culture presents an authoritative distillation of current global knowledge related to the field of primary years literacy studies. Features chapters that conceptualize, interpret, and synthesize relevant research Critically reviews past and current research in order to influence future directions in the field of literacy Offers literacy scholars an international perspective that recognizes and anticipates increasing diversity in literacy practices and cultures.
(source: Nielsen Book Data)
- Supplemental links
- Cover image
- Publication date
- Copyright date
- edited by Kathy Hall, Teresa Cremin, Barbara Comber, and Luis C. Moll.
- 9780470975978 (hardback)
- 0470975970 (hardback)