Powerful techniques for teaching adults
LC5225 .L42 B774 2013
- Unknown LC5225 .L42 B774 2013
- Includes bibliographical references (p. 245-263) and index.
- Preface ix Acknowledgments xvii About the Author xix 1. The Essence of Powerful Teaching 1 2. Teaching for Critical Thinking 35 3. Using Discussion Methods 63 4. Fostering Self-Directed Learning 89 5. Democratizing the Classroom 119 6. Teaching About Power 149 7. Teaching Using the Creative Arts 185 8. Negotiating the Emotions of Powerful Teaching 217 References 245 Index 265.
- (source: Nielsen Book Data)
- Publisher's Summary
- This book is designed as a practical resource that reviews some of the most helpful approaches and exercises that teachers use when working with adult learners. Written in an accessible style, with numerous examples of practical applications scattered throughout the text, the book does not assume any prior experience with adult learning theory or adult educational history and philosophy on the reader's part. The book invites the reader into a conversation about some of the major challenges and problems involved in teaching adults, a conversation which draws on the author's long history of working with adult learners to describe how to understand and respond to these same challenges and problems.
(source: Nielsen Book Data)
- Publication date
- Stephen D. Brookfield.
- The Jossey-Bass higher and adult education series
- Available in another form
- Online version: Brookfield, Stephen. Powerful techniques for teaching adults San Francisco : Jossey-Bass, 2013 9781118418574 (DLC) 2013003765
- 9781118017005 (hbk.)
- 1118017005 (hbk.)
- 9781118415702 (e-book)
- 9781118418574 (e-book)
- 9781118555989 (e-book)