Young children, pedagogy and the arts : ways of seeing
- edited by Felicity McArdle and Gail Boldt.
- New York, N. Y. : Routledge, 2013.
- New York : Routledge, 2013.
- Physical description
- xi, 222 pages : illustrations ; 23 cm.
- Changing images of early childhood.
Education Library (Cubberley)
LB1591 .Y68 2013
- Unknown LB1591 .Y68 2013
- Includes bibliographical references and index.
- Introduction 1 Young Children, Pedagogy and the Arts: Ways of Seeing GAIL BOLDT AND FELICITY MCARDLE Part I Ways of Seeing - The Arts 2 Small Acts of Resistance: The Role of Intergenerational Collaborative Drawing in Early Childhood Teaching and Learning LINDA KNIGHT 3 Daring to Dance: Making a Case for the Place of Dance in Children's and Teachers' Lives within Early Childhood Settings ADRIENNE SANSOM 4 Teacher, Researcher and Artist: Thinking About Documentary Practices CHRISTINA MACRAE Part II Ways of Seeing - Children 5 Becoming Intense KORTNEY SHERBINE AND GAIL BOLDT 6 Increasing the Abundance of the World: Young Children and their Drawings CHRISTINE MARME THOMPSON 7 Choreographed Childhoods: Patterns of Embodiment in the Lives of Contemporary Children EEVA ANTTILA Part III Ways of Seeing - Curriculum and Pedagogy 8 Designing with Pink Technologies and Barbie Transmedia KAREN E. WOHLWEND AND KYLIE PEPPLER 9 Social Class and Art Room Curriculum AMY PFEILER-WUNDER 10 Children's Concert Experience: An Intercultural Approach JAN SVERRE KNUDSEN 11 There's More to Art than Meets the Eye - A Series of Provocations from Unit X FELICITY MCARDLE.
- (source: Nielsen Book Data)
- Publisher's Summary
- Young Children, Pedagogy and the Arts is an innovative text that describes practices and research that cross all five strands of the arts-visual, drama, music, dance, and media-and illuminates ways of understanding children and their arts practices that go beyond the common traditions. The book: - Offers practical and rich illustrations of teachers' and children's work based on international research that integrates theory with practice; - Brings a critical lens to arts education; - Includes summaries, reflective questions, and recommended further readings with every chapter. Young Children, Pedagogy and the Arts provides a more nuanced understanding of the arts through an exploration of specific instances in which committed teachers and researchers are discovering what contemporary multimodal tools offer to young children. Chapters contain examples of 'doing' the arts in the early years, new ways of teaching, and how to use emerging technologies to develop multiliteracies, equity, agency, social and cultural capital, and enhance the learning and engagement of marginalized children.
(source: Nielsen Book Data)
- Included Work
- Knight, Linda. Small acts of resistance.
- Publication date
- Changing images of early childhood
- 9780415626989 (Cloth)