Unknown Britten [electronic resource]
- Benjamin Britten.
- Uniform Title
- Works. Selections
- French. Vocal works sung in French.
- London : NMC Recordings, p2009.
- Physical description
- 1 online resource (1 sound file)
- Les illuminations : for high voice and string orchestra (1939), with 3 additional songs orchestrated by Colin Matthews. Phrase ; Aube ; À une raison (31:29)
- Rondo concertante : 1930, for piano and strings (14:58)
- In memoriam Dennis Brain : 1958, for 4 horns and strings (3:53)
- Untitled fragment (1930) for strings (2:44)
- Variations (1965) for solo piano (6:26)
- Movements for a clarinet concerto (c1942) / realized by Colin Matthews (17:50).
- Included Work
- Britten, Benjamin, 1913-1976. Illuminations.
- Britten, Benjamin, 1913-1976. Rondo concertante.
- Britten, Benjamin, 1913-1976. In memoriam Dennis Brain.
- Britten, Benjamin, 1913-1976. Variations, piano (1965)
- Matthews, Colin. Movements for a clarinet concerto.
- Release date
- Production date
- The 6th work realized by Colin Matthews from a short score draft of the first movement, Molto allegro, of an unfinished clarinet concerto, the Mazurka elegiaca for 2 pianos of 1941, and an unfinished orchestral sketch from the early 1940s, thought to be all that survives of a projected "Sonata for orchestra."
- Words of the 1st work by Arthur Rimbaud.
- Sandrine Piau, soprano ; Rolf Hind, piano ; Michael Thompson, Richard Watkins, Peter Francomb, and Chris Griffiths, horns [members of Northern Sinfonia] ; Michael Collins, clarinet ; Northern Sinfonia ; Thomas Zehetmair, conductor.
- Recorded in Hall One at the Sage Gateshead, Jan. 14-15, 2009 (Les Illuminations and related songs) and May 22-23, 2008 (all other works).
- Available in another form
- Source record: Britten, Benjamin, 1913-1976. Selections. Unknown Britten. London : NMC Recordings, p2009 (DLC) 2012622801 (OCoLC)460340676
- Publisher Number
- NMCD140 NMC Recordings