Ignoring nature no more : the case for compassionate conservation
- Chicago ; London : The University of Chicago Press, 2013.
- Copyright notice
- Physical description
- xxvii, 419 pages. ; 23 cm
QL82 .I393 2013
- Unknown QL82 .I393 2013
- Bekoff, Marc.
- Includes bibliographical references and index.
- Publisher's Summary
- For far too long humans have been ignoring nature. As the most dominant, overproducing, overconsuming, big-brained, big-footed, arrogant, and invasive species ever known, we are wrecking the planet at an unprecedented rate. And while science is important to our understanding of the impact we have on our environment, it alone does not hold the answers to the current crisis, nor does it get people to act. In "Ignoring Nature No More", Marc Bekoff and a host of renowned contributors argue that we need a new mind-set about nature, one that centers on empathy, compassion, and being proactive. This collection of diverse essays is the first book devoted to compassionate conservation, a growing global movement that translates discussions and concerns about the well-being of individuals, species, populations, and ecosystems into action. Written by leading scholars in a host of disciplines, including biology, psychology, sociology, social work, economics, political science, and philosophy, as well as by locals doing fieldwork in their own countries, the essays combine the most creative aspects of the current science of animal conservation with analyses of important psychological and sociocultural issues that encourage or vex stewardship. Taken together, the essays make a strong case for why we must replace our habits of domination and exploitation with compassionate conservation if we are to make the world a better place for nonhuman and human animals alike.
(source: Nielsen Book Data)
- Publication date
- Copyright date
- edited by Marc Bekoff.
- 9780226925332 (cloth : alk. paper)
- 0226925331 (cloth : alk. paper)
- 9780226925356 (pbk. : alk. paper)
- 0226925358 (pbk. : alk. paper)
- 9780226925363 (e-book)