Ecosystem services in agricultural and urban landscapes
- edited by Steve Wratten, Harpinder Sandhu, Ross Cullen, and Robert Costanza.
- Chichester, West Sussex, UK ; Hoboken, NJ, USA : John Wiley & Sons, Inc., 2013.
- Copyright notice
- Physical description
- xviii, 200 pages : illustrations ; 26 cm
Science Library (Li and Ma)
|QH541.15 .E267 E28 2013||Unknown|
- Includes bibliographical references and index.
- Contributors xi Reviewers xiv Foreword xv Introduction xvi Steve Wratten, Harpinder Sandhu, Ross Cullen and Robert Costanza Part A: Scene Setting 1 1 Ecosystem Services in Farmland and Cities 3 Harpinder Sandhu and Steve Wratten 2 Ecological Processes, Functions and Ecosystem Services: Inextricable Linkages between Wetlands and Agricultural Systems 16 Onil Banerjee, Neville D. Crossman and Rudolf S. de Groot 3 Key Ideas and Concepts from Economics for Understanding the Roles and Value of Ecosystem Services 28 Pamela Kaval and Ramesh Baskaran Part B: Ecosystem Services in Three Settings 43 4 Viticulture can be Modified to Provide Multiple Ecosystem Services 45 Sofia Orre-Gordon, Marco Jacometti, Jean Tompkins and Steve Wratten 5 Aquaculture and Ecosystem Services: Reframing the Environmental and Social Debate 58 Corinne Baulcomb 6 Urban Landscapes and Ecosystem Services 83 Jurgen Breuste, Dagmar Haase and Thomas Elmqvist Part C: Measuring and Monitoring Ecosystem Services at Multiple Levels 105 7 Scale-dependent Ecosystem Service 107 Yangjian Zhang, Claus Holzapfel and Xiaoyong Yuan 8 Experimental Assessment of Ecosystem Services in Agriculture 122 Harpinder Sandhu, John Porter and Steve Wratten Part D: Designing Ecological Systems to Deliver Ecosystem Services 137 9 Towards Multifunctional Agricultural Landscapes for the Upper Midwest Region of the USA 139 Nicholas Jordan and Keith Douglass Warner 10 Supply Chain Management and the Delivery of Ecosystems Services in Manufacturing 157 Mary Haropoulou, Clive Smallman and Jack Radford 11 Market-based Instruments and Ecosystem Services: Opportunity and Experience to Date 178 Stuart M. Whitten and Anthea Coggan Epilogue: Equitable and Sustainable Systems 194 Steve Wratten, Harpinder Sandhu, Ross Cullen and Robert Costanza Index 196.
- (source: Nielsen Book Data)9781405170086 20160615
- Publisher's Summary
- Ecosystem services are the resources and processes supplied by natural ecosystems which benefit humankind (for example, pollination of crops by insects, or water filtration by wetlands). They underpin life on earth, provide major inputs to many economic sectors and support our lifestyles. Agricultural and urban areas are by far the largest users of ecosystems and their services and (for the first time) this book explores the role that ecosystem services play in these managed environments. The book also explores methods of evaluating ecosystem services, and discusses how these services can be maintained and enhanced in our farmlands and cities. This book will be useful to students and researchers from a variety of fields, including applied ecology, environmental economics, agriculture and forestry, and also to local and regional planners and policy makers.
(source: Nielsen Book Data)9781405170086 20160615
- Publication date
- Copyright date
- Available in another form
- Online version: Ecosystem services in agricultural and urban landscapes Chichester, West Sussex, UK ; Hoboken, NJ, USA : John Wiley & Sons, Inc., 2012 ( 9781118506240 )
- 9781405170086 (cloth)
- 1405170085 (cloth)
Browse related items
Start at call number: