Charles Mingus [sound recording] : the Jazz Workshop concerts, 1964-65.
- Stamford, Conn. : Mosaic Records, p2012.
- Physical description
- 7 sound discs : digital, stereo., mono. ; 4 3/4 in. + 1 book (20 p. : ill., facsims., ports. ; 28 cm.)
- Library has: 7 sound discs <in 4 boxes> + 1 booklet
MCD 25493 BOOKLET
MCD 25493 DISC 1-2
MCD 25493 DISC 3-4
MCD 25493 DISC 5
MCD 25493 DISC 6-7
- Mingus, Charles, 1922-1979 prf cmp
- Coles, Johnny. Performer
- Dolphy, Eric Performer
- Jordan, Clifford Performer
- Byard, Jaki Performer
- Richmond, Dannie. Performer
- Hillyer, Lonnie, 1940-1985. Performer
- McPherson, Charles. Performer
- Handy, John, 1933- Performer
- Bryant, Bobby. Performer
- Moore, Mel. Performer
- Blackburn, Lou. Performer
- Callender, Red Performer
- Collette, Buddy, 1921-2010 Performer
- Nimitz, Jack. Performer
- Dotson, Hobart. Performer
- Owens, Jimmy, 1943- Performer
- Watkins, Julius. Performer
- Johnson, Howard, 1941- Instrumentalist
- Charlie Mingus Jazz Workshop. Performer
- Disc I-Disc II: Town Hall concert April 4, 1964. A.T.F.W. / Jaki Byard (4:20) ; Sophisticated lady / Duke Ellington (5:49) ; So long Eric (17:46) ; Praying with Eric (27:35) / Charles Mingus ; Peggy's blue skylight (19:13) ; Parkeriana, part one (6:38) ; Parkeriana , part two (8:57) ; Fables of Faubus (11:06) / Charles Mingus
- Disc III-Disc IV: Concertgebouw Amsterdam April 10, 1964. A.T.F.W. / Jaki Byard (4:50) ; Parkeriana (21:20) ; So long Eric (22:19) ; Orange was the color of her dress, than blue silk (13:53) / Charles Mingus ; Sophisticated lady / Duke Ellington (5:34) ; Meditations on a pair of wire cutters (23:03) ; Fables of Faubus (30:40) / Charles Mingus
- Disc V-Disc VI: Mingus at Monterey September 20, 1964: Duke Ellington medley (24:48) (I got it bad ; In a sentimental mood ; All too soon Mood indigo ; Sophisticated lady ; Take the A train) ; Orange was the color of her dress, then blue silk (14:47) ; Meditations on integration (25:41) / Charles Mingus ; The arts of Tatum and Freddie Webster (9:33) ; Don't let it happen here (9:11) ; They trespass the land of the sacred Sioux (8:39) / Charles Mingus ; When the saints go marching in / K.E. Purvis ; J.M. Black (4:30)
- Disc VI (cont.)-Disc VII: My favorite quintet, Minneapolis May 13, 1965. So long Eric / Charles Mingus (18:27) ; Medley (16:04) (She's funny that way ; Embraceable you ; I can't get started ; Ghost of a chance with you ; Old portrait) ; Cocktails for two / A. Johnson ; S. Coslow (8:14) ; Copa City titty (aka O.P.) (7:08) ; A lonely day in Selma, Alabama/ Freedom (10:46) ; Peggy's blue skylight (12:31) ; Mingus piano solo (1:58) ; Bird preamble (17:24) ; Themeless blues (15:11) / Charles Mingus.
- Release date
- Production date
- Title Variation
- Jazz Workshop concerts, 1964-65
- Mosaic: MD7-253; on discs: 253.
- Previously released and unissued performances from the Jazz Workshop and East Coasting labels.
- Compact discs; analog recordings.
- Issued in 4 containers, each with its own track listing inserted in box with program notes
- Program notes by Brian Priestley and Sue Mingus in English, with bibliographical references and discography, laid in container.
- Charles Mingus, double bass, piano ; with, variously: Jaki Byard, piano, bass ; Hobart Dotson, piano ; Johnny Coles, trumpet ; Jimmy Owens, trumpet, flugelhorn ; Julius Watkins, French horn ; Howard Johnson, tuba ; Eric Dolphy, alto saxophone, bass clarinet, flute ; Lonnie Hillyer, trumpet ; Clifford Jordan or John Handy, tenor saxophone ; Charles McPherson, alto saxophone ; Dannie Richmond, drums. With additional musicians: Bobby Bryant, Melvin Moore, trumpets ; Lou Blackburn, trombone ; Red Callender, tuba ; Buddy Collette, alto saxophone, flute ; Jack Nimitz, baritone saxophone, bass clarinet.
- Recorded between April 4, 1964 and September 20, 1965 in New York, Amsterdam, Minneapolis and Monterey.
- Publisher Number
- MD7-253 Mosaic
- 253 Mosaic
- JWS-005-S Jazz Workshop
- AROC-50506/7 East Coasting/Ulysse
- AROC-5058 Ulysse
- JWS001/002 Jazz Workshop
- JWC 5 Jazz Workshop
- CD 9-46703-2 Malpaso/Warner Bros.
- ECEP-1 East Coasting