Classic Coleman Hawkins sessions 1922-1947 [sound recording].
- Hawkins, Coleman.
- Stamford, Conn. : Mosaic Records ; New York : Sony Music Entertainment, p2012.
- Physical description
- 8 sound discs : digital ; 4 3/4 in.
- Library has: 8 sound discs <in 4 boxes> + 1 booklet
MCD 25494 BOOKLET
MCD 25494 DISC 1-2
MCD 25494 DISC 3-4
MCD 25494 DISC 5-6
MCD 25494 DISC 7-8
- Smith, Mamie.
- Henderson, Fletcher, 1897-1952.
- Williams, Clarence, 1893-1965.
- Henderson, Horace.
- Scott, Leslie (Calypso singer)
- Feather, Leonard, 1914-1994.
- Basie, Count, 1904-1984.
- Carter, Benny.
- Hampton, Lionel.
- Goodman, Benny, 1909-1986.
- Cole, Cozy.
- Allen, Henry, 1908-1967.
- Schoenberg, Loren, 1958-
- Jazz Hounds.
- Clarence Williams' Jazz Kings.
- McKinney's Cotton Pickers.
- Mound City Blue Blowers.
- Henderson's Roseland Orchestra.
- Connie's Inn (New York, N.Y.). Orchestra.
- Coleman Hawkins' All-Star Octet.
- Coleman Hawkins Swing Four.
- Coleman Hawkins All-Stars.
- Cozy Cole's All Stars.
- Coleman Hawkins Orchestra.
- Metronome All Stars.
- Leonard Feather's All Stars.
- Coleman Hawkins' Fifty-second Street All Stars.
- Esquire All-American Award Winners (Musical group)
- Dixie Stompers (Dance orchestra)
- Disc 1. I'm gonna get you (Mamie Smith, Jazz Hounds). Dicty blues ; He's the hottest man in town ; The stampede ; St. Louis shuffle ; Whiteman stomp (Fletcher Henderson). Goose pimples ; Baltimore (The Dixie Stompers). Dreaming the hours away (Clarence Williams' Jazz Kings). King Porter stomp (Fletcher Henderson). I'm feelin' devilish (The Dixie Stompers). Raisin' the roof (Henderson's Roseland Orchestra). Blazin' ; The wang-wang blues (Fletcher Henderson). Wherever there's a will, baby (McKinney's Cotton Pickers). Hello Lola ; One hour (Mound City Blue Blowers). Chinatown, my Chinatown ; What good am I without you? ; St. Louis shuffle : (alt tk 1) ; St. Louis shuffle : (alt tk 3) (Fletcher Henderson). Wherever there's a will, baby : (alt tk 3) (McKinney's Cotton Pickers)
- Disc 2. Goodbye blues ; Cloudy skies ; Got another sweetie now ; Bugle call rag ; Dee blues (Chocolate Dandies). My pretty girl ; Sweet and hot ; Clarinet marmalade ; Sugar foot stomp ; Hot and anxious (Fletcher Henderson). Sugar foot stomp (Connie's Inn Orchestra). Georgia on my mind ; I can't believe that you're in love with me ; The Darktown strutter's ball ; You rascal you (Mound City Blue Blowers). Oh, it looks like rain ; Sweet music ; Malinda's weddin' day (Fletcher Henderson, Connie's Inn Orchestra). It's the darndest thing ; Sugar foot stomp : (alt tk) (Fletcher Henderson). Sugar foot stomp : (alt tk) (Connie's Inn Orchestra)
- Disc 3. Business in F ; Strangers ; I wanna count sheep : (till the cows come home) (Fletcher Henderson). Casa Loma stomp ; Blue moments ; How am I doin', hey hey (Connie's Inn Orchestra). Honeysuckle rose ; New King Porter stomp ; Underneath the Harlem moon (Fletcher Henderson). Someday, sweetheart ; I wish I could shimmy like my sister Kate (Hawkins Orchestra). The river's takin' care of me ; Ain'tcha got music ; Stringin' along on a shoe string ; Shadows On the Swanee (Allen-Hawkins and their orchestra). Yeah man! ; King Porter stomp ; Queer notions ; Can you take it? ; Yeah man! : (alt tk 2) ; King Porter stomp : (alt tk 2) ; Can you take it? : (alt tk 2) (Fletcher Henderson)
- Disc 4. Queer notions ; It's the talk of the town ; Night life ; Nagasaki (Fletcher Henderson). The day you came along ; Jamaica shout ; Heart-break blues (Coleman Hawkins). Rhythm crazy ; Ol' man river ; Minnie the Moocher's wedding day (Horace Henderson). I've got to sing a torch song (Fletcher Henderson). Hush my mouth ; You're gonna lose your gal ; Dark clouds ; My Galveston gal (Allen-Hawkins and their orchestra). Georgia jubilee ; Ol' Pappy ; Emaline (Benny Goodman). It's the talk of the town (Fletcher Henderson). Jamaica shout (Coleman Hawkins). You're gonna lose your gal : (alt tk 2) ; My Galveston gal : (alt tk 2) (Allen-Hawkins and their orchestra)
- Disc 5. Hocus pocus ; Phantom fantasie ; Harlem madness ; Tidal wave (Fletcher Henderson). It sends me ; I ain't got nobody ; On the sunny side of the street (Coleman Hawkins). When lights are low ; One sweet letter from you (Lionel Hampton). Meet Doctor Foo ; Fine dinner ; She's funny that way ; Body and soul (Coleman Hawkins). Dinah ; My buddy ; Singin' the blues (Lionel Hampton). When day is done ; The Sheik of Araby ; My blue heaven ; Bouncing with Bean (Coleman Hawkins' All Star Octet). Hocus pocus : (alt tk 2) ; Tidal wave : (alt tk 2) (Fletcher Henderson). It sends me : (alt tk 1) ; On the sunny side of the street : (alt tk 2) ; She's funny that way : (alt tk 2) (Coleman Hawkins)
- Disc 6. Sleep ; Among my souvenirs ; Fish fry ; Slow freight (Benny Carter). Passin' it around ; Serenade to a sleeping beauty ; Rocky comfort ; Forgive a fool (Coleman Hawkins). Bugle call rag ; One o'clock jump (Metronome All Star Band). 9:20 special ; Feedin' the bean (Count Basie). Voodte ; How deep is the ocean ; Hawkins' barrel-house ; Stumpy (Coleman Hawkins). Sleep : [3 takes] ; Fish fry : [3 takes] ; Slow freight (Benny Carter). Rocky comfort : (alt tk 2) (Coleman Hawkins). 9:20 special : (alt tk 2) ; Feedin' the bean : (alt tk 2) (Count Basie)
- Disc 7. Lover come back to me ; Indiana (Coleman Hawkins). Blues changes ; Crazy rhythm ; Get happy ; The man I love ; Sweet Lorraine (Coleman Hawkins Swing Four). All the things you are ; Shivers ; Step on it ; Riding on 52nd Street ; Memories of you (Coleman Hawkins and his All Stars). Willow weep for me ; Look here ; I don't stand a ghost of a chance ; Take it on back ; Memories of you ; When day is done (Cozy Cole's All Stars). Esquire jump ; Thanks for the memory (Leonard Feather and his All Stars). Hawk's variations. Pt. 1 ; Hawk's variations. Pt. 2 ; Lover come back to me : (alt tk) (Coleman Hawkins)
- Disc 8. Say it isn't so ; Spotlite (Coleman Hawkins' 52nd Street All Stars). Indiana winter ; Indiana summer (Esquire All-American Award Winners). Sweet Lorraine : [7 takes] ; Nat meets June : [6 takes) (Metronome All Star Band). The old song ; You said good-bye (Coleman Hawkins). How did she look? ; Under a blanket of blue ; Never in a million years ; You were meant for me (Leslie Scott, Coleman Hawkins). April in Paris ; How strange ; Half step down, please ; Angel face ; Jumping for Jane ; I love you (Coleman Hawkins).
- "The vision of this set is to present selected Coleman Hawkins recordings mainly from the 1930s and 1940s as originally recorded on labels currently owned by Sony Music Entertainment (Banner, Bluebird, Brunswick, Cameo, Clarion, Columbia, Conqueror, Domino, Harmony, Lincoln, Melotone, OKeh, Oriole, Perfect, Romeo, Signature, Velvet Tone, Victor, Vocalion and 'X'). We have also included sessions that currently have no ownership and are in the public domain (Baronet, Ca-Song, Continental, Manor and Regis). The criteria for admission then fell on all recordings led by Hawkins in addition to sessions where as a sideman for other bands he solos for more than 16 bars"--Book, p. 46.
- Reprint/reissue date
- Original date
- Title Variation
- Coleman Hawkins sessions 1922-1947
- Mosaic Records: MD8-251 (additional no. on disc labels: 88691907862; on container spines: 251).
- Big band and jazz music, in part with vocals.
- Principally previously released recordings.
- Compact discs; 8 discs in 4 cases laid in box (12 in.)
- Program and biographical notes by Loren Schoenberg with discographical information (48 p. : ill. ; 28 x 28 cm.) in box; discographical information also inserted in each jewel case.
- Coleman Hawkins, saxophone ; additional assisting musicians.
- Recorded Dec. 20, 1922-Dec. 11, 1947 in New York, N.Y.; Camden, N.J.; or Chicago, Ill.
- Publisher Number
- MD8-251 Mosaic Records
- 251 Mosaic Records
- 88691907862 Mosaic Records