Research ethics : a philosophical guide to the responsible conduct of research
- [edited by] Gary Comstock.
- Cambridge ; New York : Cambridge University Press, c2013.
- Physical description
- xv, 292 p. : ill. ; 24 cm.
Chemistry & ChemEng Library (Swain)
Q180.55 .M67 R465 2013
- Unknown Q180.55 .M67 R465 2013
- Comstock, Gary, 1954-
- Includes bibliographical references and index.
- Introduction-- Part A. Protect my Interests: 1. Report misconduct-- 2. Avoid plagiarism-- 3. Beware intuition-- 4. Justify decisions-- Part B. Promote our Interests: 5. Articulate reasons-- 6. Write cooperatively-- 7. Protect manuscripts-- 8. Clarify statistics-- Part C. Respect Strangers' Rights: 9. Inform subjects-- 10. Mentor inclusively-- 11. Recognize property-- 12. Reveal conflicts-- Part D. Honor All Interests: 13. Treat humanely-- 14. Preserve environments-- 15. Cultivate responsibility-- Conclusion.
- (source: Nielsen Book Data)
- Publisher's Summary
- Education in the responsible conduct of research typically takes the form of online instructions about rules, regulations, and policies. Research Ethics takes a novel approach and emphasizes the art of philosophical decision-making. Part A introduces egoism and explains that it is in the individual's own interest to avoid misconduct, fabrication of data, plagiarism and bias. Part B explains contractualism and covers issues of authorship, peer review and responsible use of statistics. Part C introduces moral rights as the basis of informed consent, the use of humans in research, mentoring, intellectual property and conflicts of interests. Part D uses two-level utilitarianism to explore the possibilities and limits of the experimental use of animals, duties to the environment and future generations, and the social responsibilities of researchers. This book brings a fresh perspective to research ethics and will engage the moral imaginations of graduate students in all disciplines.
(source: Nielsen Book Data)
- Supplemental links
- Cover image
- Publication date
- 9780521187084 (pbk.)
- 0521187087 (pbk.)