The use of foreign precedents by constitutional judges
- edited by Tania Groppi and Marie-Claire Ponthoreau.
- Oxford, United Kingdom ; Portland, Or. : Hart Pub., 2013.
- Physical description
- xxxviii, 431 p. : ill. ; 25 cm.
- Hart studies in comparative public law ; v. 1.
Law Library (Crown)
|K7680 .U82 2013||Unknown|
- Includes bibliographical references.
- Introduction: The methodology of the research : how to assess the reality of transjudicial communication? / Tania Groppi and Marie-Claire Ponthoreau
- Reference to foreign precedents by the Australian High Court : a matter of method / Cheryl Saunders and Adrienne Stone.
- Canada : protecting rights in a "worldwide rights culture", an empirical study of the use of foreign precedents by the Supreme Court of Canada (1982-2010) / Gianluca Gentili
- India : a "critical" use of foreign precedents in constitutional adjudication / Valentina Rita Scotti
- The Supreme Court of Ireland and the use of foreign precedents : the value of constitutional history / Cristina Fasone
- Israel : creating a constitution : the use of foreign precedents by the Supreme Court (1994-2010) / Suzie Navot
- Namibia : the Supreme Court as a foreign law importer / Irene Spigno
- South Africa : teaching an "old dog" new tricks? : an empirical study of the use of foreign precedents by the South African Constitutional Court (1995-2010) / Christa Rautenbach
- Austria: non-cosmopolitan, but Europe-friendly: the Constitutional Court's comparative approach / Anna Gamper
- Lifting the constitutional curtain? : the use of foreign precedent by the German Federal Constitutional Court / Stefan Martini
- Hungary: unsystematic and incoherent borrowing of law: the use of foreign judicial precedents in the jurisprudence of the Constitutional Court, 1999-2010 / Zoltán Szente
- A gap between the apparent and hidden attitudes of the Supreme Court of Japan towards foreign precedents / Akiko Ejima
- Mexico : struggling for an open view in constitutional adjudication / Eduardo Ferrer Mac-Gregor and Rubén Sánchez Gil
- Romania : analogical reasoning as a dialectical instrument / Elena Simina Tanasescu and Stefan Deaconu
- Russia : foreign transplants in the Russian Constitution and invisible foreign precedents in decisions of the Russian Constitutional Court / Sergey Belov
- Judges as discursive agent: the use of foreign precedents by the Constitutional Court of Taiwan / Wen-Chen Chang and Jiunn-Rong Yeh
- United States of America : first cautious attempts of judicial use of foreign precedents in the Supreme Court's jurisprudence / Angioletta Sperti
- Conclusion: The use of foreign precedents by constitutional judges : a limited practice, an uncertain future / Tania Groppi and Marie-Clair Ponthoreau.
- Publisher's Summary
- In 2007 the International Association of Constitutional Law established an Interest Group on 'The Use of Foreign Precedents by Constitutional Judges' to conduct a survey of the use of foreign precedents by Supreme and Constitutional Courts in deciding constitutional cases. Its purpose was to determine - through empirical analysis employing both quantitative and qualitative indicators - the extent to which foreign case law is cited. The survey aimed to test the reliability of studies describing and reporting instances of transjudicial communication between Courts. The research also provides useful insights into the extent to which a progressive constitutional convergence may be taking place between common law and civil law traditions. The present work includes studies by scholars from African, American, Asian, European, Latin American and Oceania countries, representing jurisdictions belonging to both common law and civil law traditions, and countries employing both centralised and decentralised systems of judicial review. The results, published here for the first time, give us the best evidence yet of the existence and limits of a transnational constitutional communication between courts.
(source: Nielsen Book Data)9781849462716 20160611
- Publication date
- Hart studies in comparative public law ; v. 1
- 9781849462716 (cloth : alk. paper)
- 1849462712 (cloth : alk. paper)
Browse related items
Start at call number: