Fundamentals of microbiology
- Jeffrey C. Pommerville.
- 10th ed.
- Burlington, MA : Jones & Bartlett Learning, c2014.
- Physical description
- xxxi, 845,  p. : ill. (chiefly col.), col. maps ; 29 cm.
Biology Library (Falconer)
QR41.2 .A43 2014
- Unknown QR41.2 .A43 2014
- Pommerville, Jeffrey C.
- Microbiology then and now
- The chemical building blocks of life
- Concepts and tools for studying microorganisms
- Cell structure and function in the bacteria and archaea
- Microbial growth and nutrition
- Metabolism of microorganisms
- Control of microorganisms: physical and chemical methods
- Microbial genetics
- Gene transfer, genetic engineering, and genomics
- Airborne bacterial diseases
- Foodborne and waterborne bacterial diseases
- Soilborne and arthropodborne bacterial diseases
- Sexually transmitted and contact transmitted bacterial diseases
- The viruses and virus-like agents
- Viral infections of the respiratory tract and skin
- Viral infections of the blood, lymphatic, gastrointestinal, and nervous system
- Eukaryotic microorganisms : the fungi
- Eukaryotic microorganisms : the parasites
- Infection and disease
- Resistance and the immune system : innate immunity
- Resistance and the immune system : acquired immunity
- Immunity and serology
- Antimicrobial drugs.
- Publisher's Summary
- Every new copy of the print book includes access code to Student Companion Website! The Tenth Edition of Jeffrey Pommerville's best-selling, award-winning classic text Fundamentals of Microbiology provides nursing and allied health students with a firm foundation in microbiology. Updated to reflect the Curriculum Guidelines for Undergraduate Microbiology as recommended by the American Society for Microbiology, the fully revised tenth edition includes all-new pedagogical features and the most current research data. This edition incorporates updates on infectious disease and the human microbiome, a revised discussion of the immune system, and an expanded Learning Design Concept feature that challenges students to develop critical-thinking skills. Accesible enough for introductory students and comprehensive enough for more advanced learners, Fundamentals of Microbiology encourages students to synthesize information, think deeply, and develop a broad toolset for analysis and research. Real-life examples, actual published experiments, and engaging figures and tables ensure student success. The texts's design allows students to self-evaluate and build a solid platform of investigative skills. Enjoyable, lively, and challenging, Fundamentals of Microbiology is an essential text for students in the health sciences. New to the fully revised and updated Tenth Edition: -New Investigating the Microbial World feature in each chapter encourages students to participate in the scientific investigation process and challenges them to apply the process of science and quantitative reasoning through related actual experiments. -All-new or updated discussions of the human microbiome, infectious diseases, the immune system, and evolution -Redesigned and updated figures and tables increase clarity and student understanding -Includes new and revised critical thinking exercises included in the end-of-chapter material -Incorporates updated and new MicroFocus and MicroInquiry boxes, and Textbook Cases -The Companion Website includes a wealth of study aids and learning tools, including new interactive animations* *Companion Website access is not included with ebook offerings.
(source: Nielsen Book Data)
- Publication date
- Rev. ed. of: Alcamo's fundamentals of microbiology / Jeffrey C. Pommerville. c2011.
- Includes index.
- Related Work
- Pommerville, Jeffrey C. Alcamo's fundamentals of microbiology.
- 9781449647964 (alk. paper)
- 1449647960 (alk. paper)
- 9781449688615 (hbk.)
- 1449688616 (hbk.)