Africa and France : postcolonial cultures, migration, and racism
- Dominic Thomas.
- Bloomington : Indiana University Press, 
- Copyright notice
- Physical description
- 329 pages ; 23 cm.
- African expressive cultures.
- Thomas, Dominic Richard David.
- Includes bibliographical references (pages 277-312) and index.
- Acknowledgments Introduction: France and the New World Order-- 1. Museology and Globalization: The Quai Branly Museum-- 2. Object/Subject Migration: The National Centre for the History of Immigration-- 3. Sarkozy's Law: National Identity and the Institutionalization of Xenophobia-- 4. Africa, France, and Eurafrica in the 21st Century-- 5. From mirage to image: Contest(ed)ing Space in Diasporic Films (1955-2011)-- 6. The "Marie NDiaye Affair" or the Coming of a Postcolonial evoluee-- 7. The Euro-Mediterranean: Literature and Migration-- 8. Into the European "Jungle": Migration and Grammar in the New Europe-- 9. Documenting the Periphery: the French banlieues in words and film-- 10. Decolonizing France: National Literatures, World Literature, and World Identities Notes-- Bibliography-- Index.
- (source: Nielsen Book Data)9780253006707 20160615
- Publisher's Summary
- This stimulating and insightful book reveals how increased control over immigration has changed cultural and social production in theatre, literature, and even museum construction. Dominic Thomas's analysis unravels the complex cultural and political realities of long-standing mobility between Africa and Europe. Thomas questions the attempt to place strict limits on what it means to be French or European and offers a sense of what must happen to bring about a renewed sense of integration and global Frenchness.
(source: Nielsen Book Data)9780253006707 20160615
- Publication date
- Copyright date
- African expressive cultures
- 9780253006691 (cloth : alk. paper)
- 0253006694 (cloth : alk. paper)
- 9780253006707 (pbk. : alk. paper)
- 0253006708 (pbk. : alk. paper)
- 9780253007032 (ebk.)
- 0253007038 (ebk.)
Browse related items
Start at call number: