Coastal erosion and protection in Europe
- edited by Enzo Pranzini and Allan Williams.
- 1st ed.
- Abingdon, Oxon ; New York, NY : Routledge, 2013.
- Physical description
- xxiv, 457 p. : ill. (some col.), maps (some col.) ; 25 cm.
Earth Sciences Library (Branner)
|TC330 .C63 2013||Unknown|
- Includes bibliographical references and index.
- 1. Introduction Enzo Pranzini and Allan T. Williams 2. Russia Ruben Kosyan, Marina Krylenko, Daria Ryabchuk and Boris Chubarenko 3. Sweden Magnus Larson and Hans Hanson 4. The Baltic States: Estonia, Latvia and Lithuania Hannes Tonisson, Kaarel Orviku, Janis Lapinskis, Saulius Gulbinskas and Rimas Zaromskis 5. Poland Kazimierz Furmanczyk 6. Denmark Per Sorensen 7. Germany Jurgen Jensen and Klaus Schwarzer 8. Netherlands Frank van der Meulen, Bert van der Valk and Bas Arens 9. Belgium Roger H. Charlier 10. Great Britain (GB) Simon Blott, Robert W. Duck, Michael R. Phillips, Nigel Pontee, Kenneth Pye, and Allan T. Williams 11. Ireland Andrew Cooper 12. France Edward J. Anthony and Francois Sabatier 13. Spain Vicente Gracia, Agustin Sanchez-Arcilla and Giorgio Anfuso 14. Portugal Oscar Ferreira and Ana Matias 15. Italy Enzo Pranzini 16. Eastern Adriatic Kristina Pikelj, Vojislav Dragnic and Nemanja Malovrazic 17. Albania Gjovalin Gruda and Merita Dollma 18. Greece George Alexandrakis, George Ghionis, Serafim E. Poulos and Nikolaos A. Kampanis 19. Bulgaria Margarita Stancheva 20. Romania Adrian Stanica, Nicolae Panin and Glicherie Caraivan 21. Ukraine Yuri N. Goryachkin 22. Conclusions Enzo Pranzini, Lilian Wetzel and Allan Williams.
- (source: Nielsen Book Data)
- Publisher's Summary
- Europe has a long history of managing coastal erosion through a variety of protection strategies, from the defences of the Venice lagoons to coastal land reclamation in the Netherlands. This book provides a comprehensive review of the entire coastline of Europe and a comparative analysis of erosion problems and solutions in each country. Each chapter discusses the natural and anthropogenic factors in the erosion process and in defence projects design and maintenance, including coastal morphology and wave climate, land use changes and use of coastal areas, the evolution of coastal protection, climate change and political and administrative assessments. Particular attention is paid to demographic and economic factors influencing coastal erosion in each country and to technical and administrative criteria influencing defence projects design. Lavishly illustrated in full colour throughout, the book represents a definitive reference work on its subject.
(source: Nielsen Book Data)
- Publication date
- 9781849713399 (hbk)
- 1849713391 (hbk)
- 9780203128558 (ebk)
- 0203128559 (ebk)
Browse related items
Start at call number: