Time to start thinking : America in the age of descent
- Edward Luce.
- New York : Grove Press, 
- Copyright notice
- Physical description
- vi, 310 pages ; 21 cm
Law Library (Crown)
|E169.12 .L76 2012||Unknown|
- Luce, Edward, 1968- author.
- Includes bibliographical references and index.
- Introduction: The graduations
- The lonely middle : why America's middle class continues to hollow out
- Leave no robot behind : why America's education system is still falling behind
- The Golden Goose : why America's lead in innovation can no longer be taken for granted
- Gulliver's travails : why bureaucracy is harming America's competitiveness
- Against itself : why America is becoming less governable
- Maybe we can't : why money continues to rule Washington
- An exceptional challenge : why the coming struggle to halt America's decline faces long odds.
- Publisher's Summary
- "Gentlemen, we have run out of money. It is time to start thinking."-Sir Ernest Rutherford, winner of the Nobel Prize in Nuclear Physics "Time to Start Thinking" is a book destined to spark debate among liberals and conservatives alike. Drawing on his decades of exceptional journalism and his connections within Washington and around the world, Luce advances a carefully constructed and controversial argument, backed up by interviews with many of the key players in politics and business, that America is losing its pragmatism - and that the consequences of this may soon leave the country high and dry. Luce turns his attention to a number of different key issues that are set to affect America's position in the world order: the changing structure of the US economy, the continued polarization of American politics; the debilitating effect of the "permanent election campaign"; the challenges involved in the overhaul of the country's public education system; and the health-or sickliness-of American innovation in technology and business. His conclusion, "An Exceptional Challenge" looks at America's dwindling options in a world where the pace is increasingly being set elsewhere. .
(source: Nielsen Book Data)
- Publication date
- Copyright date
- Title Variation
- America in the age of descent
Browse related items
Start at call number: