Strategic writing mini-lessons for all students, grades 4-8
- edited by Janet C. Richards, Cynthia A. Lassonde ; foreword by Jane Hansen.
- Thousand Oaks, California : Corwin, 
- Physical description
- ix, 251 pages : illustrations ; 28 cm
Education Library (Cubberley)
|LB1575.8 .S77 2013||Unknown|
- Includes bibliographical references (pages 229-235) and index.
- Foreword by Jane Hansen Introduction: Meeting Your Students' Needs With Specific Writing Strategies by Janet C. Richards, Cynthia A. Lassonde Section I. Strategic Inventing: Contemplating Ideas 1. Color-Coding Sources by Cynthia A. Lassonde 2. Developing Students' Awareness of Their Strengths as Writers with an I-Can! Chart by Joanne Durham 3. Using a Blueprint Graphic Organizer to Build a Story by Jennifer A. Fontenot 4. Using Genre Charts to Guide Planning and Writing by Gabe Horn, Susan D. Martin 5. Reciprocal Text Structure Mapping for Expository Writing by Joyce C. Fine 6. Thanks for the Memories! Using a Sensory-Details Chart to Prepare to Write by Sandra Gandy, Mariah Kraus 7. Organizing an Expository Essay: Using Big Idea Checklists to Support Writers by Allison Stone, Joyce C. Fine Section II. Strategic Drafting: Putting Ideas on Paper 8. Quilting Together an Expository Paper in Four Steps by Cynthia A. Lassonde 9. Team Writing to Foster Students' Motivation to Write: Moving From Group Work to Independence by Janet C. Richards 10. Use Your Words: Learning to Paraphrase by Janet C. Richards 11. Creating Rounded Characters through Cartoon Connections by Krishna Seunarinesingh 12. Applying the Structure Strategy to Write Persuasive Texts by Bonnie J. F. Meyer, Jennifer Ireland, Melissa Ray 13. Buddies Build It Stronger: A Sentence-Combining Strategy by Todd Sundeen Section III. Strategic Revising: Attending to Organization and Cohesiveness 14. Deconstruct Then Reconstruct a First Draft by Cynthia A. Lassonde 15. Portal Writing: A Strategy to Help Writers Rethink Their Writing by S. Rebecca Leigh 16. Conferring with an Avatar by Chase Young, Lynda Swanner 17. Writing Aloud: A Sound-Savvy Approach to Writing by Sandra K. Athans 18. A Picture Is Worth a Thousand Words: Revising With Photographs by Noreen S. Moore Section IV. Strategic Editing: The Finishing Touch 19. Revising and Editing Through Primary Sources by Nancy Williams, Kathleen Muir 20. Code Switching, an Editing Strategy by Rebecca Wheeler 21. The Imagine, Describe, Resolve, and Confrim (IDRC) Strategy by Lindsay Sheronick Yearta, Katie Stover, Lynne Newton, Karen Wood 22. Probable Passages: Using Story Structure to Write and Revise a Predictive Passage by Katie Stover, Jean Vintinner, Crystal Glover, Karen Wood References Index About the Authors About the Contributors.
- (source: Nielsen Book Data)
- Publisher's Summary
- Short lessons with a big impact!Respond to your writersAe needs with mini-lessons that will improve their craft and confidence. From the start, the oI Can!o chapter sets up writers to know what they can do, by learning to note and record their own strengths. Every chapter models strategies that foster studentsAe self-regulated, independent writing, and includes adaptations that show how to adjust teaching for advanced writers, writers who struggle, English language learners, and extending the strategies across content areas. Each mini-lesson is laid out step by step for ease of use, including sections on:Materials neededModeling the lessonStudent practiceIndependent writing.
(source: Nielsen Book Data)
- Composition (Language arts)
- Publication date
- 9781452235011 (pbk. : alk. paper)
- 1452235015 (pbk. : alk. paper)
Browse related items
Start at call number: