No place for bullying : leadership for schools that care for every student
- James Dillon.
- Thousand Oaks, Calif. : Corwin, c2012.
- Physical description
- xv, 268 p. : ill. ; 26 cm.
Education Library (Cubberley)
|LB3013.3 .D57 2012||Unknown|
- Dillon, James (James E.)
- Includes bibliographical references (p. 251-256) and index.
- Foreword Acknowledgments About the Author Introduction Section 1: The Will 1. The Blind Spot of Bullying Prevention 2. The Moral Purpose and Obligation of Bullying Prevention 3. How We See It Is How We Solve It 4. Changing Your Mind(set) Section 2: The Skill 5. You Can't Bully Your Way to Bullying Prevention 6. Leadership for Bullying Prevention: What Not to Do and Not to Think 7. Leading Groups to Lead 8. The Human Face of Data 9. "Of the Students, by the Students, for the Students": What School Leaders Need to Know 10. "Of the Students, by the Students, for the Students": What School Leaders Need to Do Section 3: The Follow Through (Infrastructure) 11. Leadership for a Change 12. Policies, Programs, and Practices 13. Discipline in the Right Climate: Rules, Consequences, Supervision, and Intervention 14. Beyond the School Building: Parents, the School Bus, and the Digital World 15. Beyond Bullying Prevention: Climate Change for the Better Appendix: Bullying Prevention Resources References Index.
- (source: Nielsen Book Data)
- Publisher's Summary
- Research shows that learning is dependent upon students feeling safe and secure, so preventing and counteracting bullying should be a high priority for any school leader. Written by an experienced, award-winning principal with a proven track record of bully prevention, this book integrates the research and knowledge on effective school leadership with the research and knowledge for effective bullying prevention. James Dillon describes the five paradigm shifts a school principal needs to lead in order to develop the schoolwide will for bully prevention. This book: - Explains why most anti-bullying efforts fail - Offers professional development strategies for equipping school staff to implement anti-bullying policies - Includes information on how to assess and improve overall school climate - Describes how to involve all members of the school community, including parents The book also provides additional useful information such as how to deliver effective presentations to get buy-in from community members and staff, how to collect and analyze data, and sample forms, online video clips, and case studies. An essential tool for any school leader, No Place for Bullying provides more than just the policies and the forms to implement an anti-bullying program-it provides the tools for inspiring the cultural shift necessary to truly combat bullying in schools.
(source: Nielsen Book Data)
- Publication date
- 9781452216690 (pbk. : acid-free paper)
- 145221669X (pbk. : acid-free paper)
Browse related items
Start at call number: