Advances in applied mathematics, modeling, and computational science [electronic resource]
- Roderick Melnik, Ilias S. Kotsireas, editors.
- New York : Springer, c2013.
- Physical description
- 1 online resource (ix, 242 p.) : ill. (some col.)
- Fields Institute communications ; v.66.
- Includes bibliographical references and index.
- Interconnected Challenges and New Perspectives in Applied Mathematical and Computational Sciences / Roderick V. N. Melnik and Ilias S. Kotsireas
- Dynamic Blocking Problems for a Model of Fire Propagation / Alberto Bressan
- Inverse Lax-Wendroff Procedure for Numerical Boundary Conditions of Hyperbolic Equations: Survey and New Developments / Sirui Tan and Chi-Wang Shu
- Elliptic Curves over Finite Fields: Number Theoretic and Cryptographic Aspects / Igor E. Shparlinski
- Random Matrix Theory and Its Innovative Applications / Alan Edelman and Yuyang Wang
- Boundary Closures for Sixth-Order Energy-Stable Weighted Essentially Non-Oscillatory Finite-Difference Schemes / Mark H. Carpenter, Travis C. Fisher and Nail K. Yamaleev
- A Multiscale Method Coupling Network and Continuum Models in Porous Media II--Single- and Two-Phase Flows / Jay Chu, Björn Engquist, Maša Prodanović and Richard Tsai
- Statistical Geometry and Topology of the Human Placenta / Rak-Kyeong Seong, Pascal Getreuer, Yingying Li, Theresa Girardi and Carolyn M. Salafia, et al.
- Illustrating Optimal Control Applications with Discrete and Continuous Features / Suzanne Lenhart, Erin Bodine, Peng Zhong and Hem Raj Joshi.
- Publisher's Summary
- The volume presents a selection of in-depth studies and state-of-the-art surveys of several challenging topics that are at the forefront of modern applied mathematics, mathematical modeling, and computational science. These three areas represent the foundation upon which the methodology of mathematical modeling and computational experiment is built as a ubiquitous tool in all areas of mathematical applications. This book covers both fundamental and applied research, ranging from studies of elliptic curves over finite fields with their applications to cryptography, to dynamic blocking problems, to random matrix theory with its innovative applications. The book provides the reader with state-of-the-art achievements in the development and application of new theories at the interface of applied mathematics, modeling, and computational science. This book aims at fostering interdisciplinary collaborations required to meet the modern challenges of applied mathematics, modeling, and computational science. At the same time, the contributions combine rigorous mathematical and computational procedures and examples from applications ranging from engineering to life sciences, providing a rich ground for graduate student projects.
(source: Nielsen Book Data)
- Publication date
- Fields Institute communications, 1069-5265 ; v.66
- Available in another form
- Print version: Advances in applied mathematics, modeling, and computational science. [Toronto, Ont.] : Fields Institute for Research in the Mathematical Sciences ; New York, NY : Springer, c2013 9781461453888 (OCoLC)802321851
- 9781461453895 (electronic bk.)
- 1461453895 (electronic bk.)