Chocolate in health and nutrition [electronic resource]
- Ronald Ross Watson, Victor R. Preedy, Sherma Zibadi, editors.
- New York : Humana Press, c2013.
- Physical description
- 1 online resource : ill.
- Nutrition and health (Totowa, N.J.) 7.
- Includes bibliographical references and index.
- Part 1. Historical Perspectives and Production
- Pre-hispanic Use of Cocoa / Patricia L. Crown
- History of the Medical Use of Chocolate / Donatella Lippi
- Cocoa and Its By-Products: Identification and Utilization / Emmanuel O. K. Oddoye, Christian K. Agyente-Badu and Esther Gyedu-Akoto
- The Microbiology of Cocoa Fermentation / Dennis S. Nielsen, Michael Crafack, Lene Jespersen and Mogens Jakobsen
- Fungi and Mycotoxin Occurrence in Cocoa / Marina Venturini Copetti, Beatriz Thie Iamanaka and Marta Hiromi Taniwaki
- Nonnutritive Constituents in Chocolate and Cocoa / William I. Manton
- Chocolate and Cocoa Aroma / Jürgen Voigt.
- Part 2. Composition of Chocolate Sources and Related Plant Components
- Composition of Cacao Beans / Antonella Bertazzo, Stefano Comai, Francesca Mangiarini and Su Chen
- Industrial and Home Processing of Cocoa Polyphenols / Rosa M. Lamuela-Raventos, María Izquierdo-Pulido and Ramón Estruch
- Methods in Chocolate Analysis: Use of Atomic Spectrometric Techniques / Denise Bohrer and Carine Viana Silva Ieggli
- The Effects of Chocolate and Chocolate by-product Consumption on Wild and Domestic Animals / Brett David Gartrell and Wendi Dianne Roe
- Chocolate Bars Based on Human Nutritional Requirements / Anthony A. Robson
- Comparing Sunflower Stearins with Cocoa Butter / Joaquín J. Salas, Miguel A. Bootello, Enrique Martínez-Force and Rafael Garcés
- Low-Calorie Chocolates and Acceptability/Sensory Properties / Lauro Melo, Helena Maria André Bolini and Priscilla Efraim.
- Part 3. Chocolate Metabolism and Activities in Culture
- Polyphenols in Cocoa: From In Vitro Digestion to In Vivo Bioavailability / Nàdia Ortega Olivé and Maria-José Motilva Casado
- The Effect of Chocolate on Human and Gut Microbial Metabolic Interactions: Emphasis on Human Health and Nutritional Status / François-Pierre J. Martin, Sebastiano Collino, Serge Rezzi and Sunil Kochhar
- The Absorption, Metabolism, and Pharmacokinetics of Chocolate Polyphenols / Cesar A. Lau-Cam
- Biological Activity of Cacao Husk and Mass Lignin-Carbohydrate Complexes / Hiroshi Sakagami and Tomohiko Matsuta.
- Part 4. Disease-Related Clinical Studies
- Clinical Benefits of Cocoa: An Overview / Margarida Castell, Francisco Jose Pérez-Cano and Jean-François Bisson
- Endothelial Control of Vascular Tone by Chocolate and Other Polyphenols / Cyril Auger, Noureddine Idris-Khodja and Valérie B. Schini-Kerth
- Chocolate Flavonoids in the Prevention of Arterial Disease / Nancy J. Correa-Matos and Catherine Christie
- Chocolate and Coronary Heart Disease / Imre Janszky and Kenneth J. Mukamal
- Dark Chocolate and (Pre-)Hypertension / Karin Ried
- Polyphenol-Rich Cocoa and Chocolate: Potential Role in the Prevention of Diabetes / Suzana Almoosawi and Emad Al-Dujaili
- Polyphenol-Rich Dark Chocolate in Treatment of Diabetes Mellitus Risk Factors / Emad Al-Dujaili, Catherine Tsang and Suzana Almoosawi
- Chocolate and Cancer Prevention? / Gertraud Maskarinec
- The Effects of Cocoa- and Chocolate-Related Products on Neurocognitive Functioning / W. David Crews Jr., David W. Harrison, Kim P. Gregory, Bon Kim and Allison B. Darling
- Flavonoid-Rich Chocolate and Cognitive Improvement / Eha Nurk
- Cocoa and Chocolate: Chemistry, Biochemistry, and Beneficial Brain Effects / Maria Patrizia Carrieri and Joe A. Vinson.
- Part 5. Non-Disease-Related Clinical Studies
- Chocolate: Mood / Marlene M. Millen and Beatrice A. Golomb
- Chocolate: Psychopharmacological Aspects, Mood, and Addiction / Nuno Rodrigues-Silva
- Chocolate and Pain Tolerance / Kristina M. Eggleston and Theresa White
- Cocoa for Recovery / Kelly Pritchett and Phillip A. Bishop
- Chocolate and Withdrawal / Carla da Silva Benetti and Patrícia Pelufo Silveira
- Cues Linked to the Consumption of Chocolate: Orexin and Reward-Based Feeding Behaviors / Derrick L. Choi, Jon F. Davis and Stephen C. Benoit
- Behavioral, Cognitive, and Affective Consequences of Trying to Avoid Chocolate / James A. K. Erskine and George J. Georgiou
- Chocolate and Children's Food and Flavor Preferences / Janet E. Standen-Holmes and Djin Gie Liem
- Chocolate Use and Knowledge in Oral and Dental Health in Children / Emine Efe and Selma Öncel
- Acne and Chocolate: Is There Any Evidence of Their Association? / Adilson Costa and Maria Carolina Fidelis
- Cocoa and Chocolate in Humans: The Rationale for Clinical Studies on Healthy Volunteers / Ario Conti, Maria Teresa Pinorini-Godly and Maria Laura Colombo.
- Publication date
- Nutrition and health ; 7
- 9781617798030 (electronic bk.)
- 1617798037 (electronic bk.)