Making the common core standards work : using professional development to build world-class schools
- Robert J. Manley, Richard J. Hawkins ; foreword by Dan Domenech.
- Thousand Oaks, California : Corwin, 
- Copyright notice
- Physical description
- xxiii, 261 pages : illustrations ; 23 cm
Education Library (Cubberley)
|LB3060.83 .M36 2013||Unknown|
- Includes bibliographical references (pages 243-248) and index.
- Dedication Foreword by Dan Domenech Preface Acknowledgments About the Authors Introduction: Why American Schools Must Move Toward Common Core State Standards Section I. Designing Competitive Curriculum for a Global Economy 1. Common Core State Standards: What Are They? Common Core State Standards: More Than Standards With an International Flavor A Quick Trip Around the World Moving Forward 2. The School Leader's Role in Making the Common Core State Standards Work Creating Guiding Ideas to Implement the Common Core State Standards Guiding Ideas and Evidence Getting to How: Operationalizing Your Guiding Ideas Identifying the Innovation Teaching the Change The Social and Emotional Literacy Components of the Common Core State Standards School Leaders and Teachers Partner to Help Students Inspiring Trust, Creativity, Transparency, and Success: A Framework for Loose Versus Tight Leadership Part I: Building Understanding About the Issue and Its Impact on Your Organization Part II: Moving From Understanding to Action Section II. Helping Communities Create a New Future 3. Designing Local Curriculum to Absorb the Common Core State Standards in English Real-World Applications Grades K-2, Phonological Awareness (One Topic) Grades K-2: Key Ideas and Details and Craft and Structure Grades 3-4: Fluency (One Topic) Grade 5: Reading With Fluency and Accuracy Grades 6-8: Key Ideas and Details (One Topic) Grades 9-10: English Language Arts Curriculum Grades 11-12: Reading and Writing 4. Designing Local Curriculum to Absorb the Common Core State Standards in Mathematics Comparison of State and Common Core State Math Standard Emphasis Common Core State Math Standards Kindergarten Common Core State Standard and Local Curriculum Math Standards Grade 1 Common Core State Standard and Local Curriculum Math Standards Grade 2 Common Core State Standard and Local Curriculum Math Standards Grade 5 Common Core State Standard and Local Curriculum Math Standards Six Domains of Instructional Strategies for All Students Purpose of the Math Common Core Grade 7 Common Core State Math Standards: Ratios and Proportional Relationships Grades 9-10 Common Core State Math Standards: The Real Number System Grade 10 Common Core State Math Standards for Geometry: Congruence Grade 12 Common Core State Math Standards for Statistics: Using Probability to Make Decisions 5. Challenges to the Implementation of Rigorous Common Core State Standards Testing Policies Do Not Improve Schools The Common Core State Standards: Opportunities for Equity and Excellence Section III. Helping Teachers Redefine Their Profession 6. How to Assess Mastery of the Common Core Curriculum State Standards Direct Instruction The Power of Formative Assessments Formative Assessment Examples From Real Schools Building Successful Schools Special Education and General Education 7. The Leadership Challenge: Creating Common Understandings of the Common Core State Standards The Role of School Leaders Envisioning Excellence We Get the Results We Design Schools to Achieve Vision or Nightmare? Enter the Common Core State Standards 8. Dialogue: Providing Opportunity So Facts Influence Opinions Creating Context for the Common Core State Standards Teachers Need Deep Understanding of the Common Core State Standards Identifying Gaps: Current Versus Desired Reality Section IV. Creating Systems That Accelerate Learning for All 9. Multicultural Issues That Teachers and School Leaders Must Face Beyond the Common Core State Standards Common Core State Standards Lift Us Beyond Difference What All Teachers and School Leaders Need to Know About Multiculturalism Grouping and Labeling Students Building a Multicultural Learning Community 10. An Effective Intervention in Schools That Improves Instruction and Learning Creating Sustainable Change in Struggling Schools Leaders Create the Context and Design for Change to Succeed Homework Student Work and Deficit Assumptions Focus Groups School Leaders Parent Involvement Students Changing Public Mental Models About School Reform 11. Public Policy: Helpful and Harmful References Index.
- (source: Nielsen Book Data)9781452258577 20160612
- Publisher's Summary
- Many educators and researchers view the Common Core State Standards as very high standards for schools to achieve. In truth, the standards are the basic standards for the 21st Century. Educators, at every school, need to learn how to redesign their curriculum and their instructional strategies so that the common core state standards are absorbed into the local curriculum. Inside the authors discuss: " How to merge the Common Core State Standards and local curriculum in English Language Arts and Mathematics " The challenges that educators face at local schools and in their communities " A way for school district and school leaders to take advantage of the diversity among faculty, parents and students to differentiate instruction and achieve higher levels of mastery for all students " Multicultural issues, school improvement systems and public policy changes that must be addressed This book provides practical advice, examples, and design considerations that are modifiable for any culture, school, or district that is serious about being part of the new age of American achievement and prosperity.
(source: Nielsen Book Data)9781452258577 20160612
- Publication date
- Copyright date
- 9781452258577 (pbk. : alk. paper)
- 1452258570 (pbk. : alk. paper)
Browse related items
Start at call number: