Combinatorics of set partitions
- Toufik Mansour.
- Boca Raton, Fla. ; London : Chapman & Hall/CRC, c2013.
- Physical description
- xxviii, 587 p. : ill. ; 24 cm.
- Discrete mathematics and its applications.
Math & Statistics Library
|QA165 .M216 2013||Unknown|
- Mansour, Toufik.
- Includes bibliographical references (p. 547-571) and index.
- Introduction Historical Overview and Earliest Results Timeline of Research for Set Partitions A More Detailed Book Basic Tools of the Book Sequences Solving Recurrence Relations Generating Functions Lagrange Inversion Formula The Principle of Inclusion and Exclusion Generating Trees Preliminary Results on Set Partitions Dobinski's Formula Different Representations Subword Statistics on Set Partitions Subword Patterns of Size Two: Rises, Levels and Descents Peaks and Valleys Subword Patterns: l-Rises, l-Levels, and l-Descents Families of Subword Patterns Patterns of Size Three Nonsubword Statistics on Set Partitions Statistics and Block Representation Statistics and Canonical and Rook Representations Records and Weak Records Number of Positions between Adjacent Occurrences of a Letter The Internal Statistic Statistics and Generalized Patterns Major Index Number of Crossings, Nestings and Alignments Avoidance of Patterns in Set Partitions History and Connections Avoidance of Subsequence Patterns Generalized Patterns Partially Ordered Patterns Multi Restrictions on Set Partitions Avoiding a Pattern of Size Three and Another Pattern Pattern Avoidance in Noncrossing Set Partitions General Equivalences Two Patterns of Size Four Left Motzkin Numbers Sequence A054391 Catalan and Generalized Catalan Numbers Pell Numbers Regular Set Partitions Distance Restrictions Singletons Block-Connected Asymptotics and Random Set Partition Tools from Probability Theory Tools from Complex Analysis Z-Statistics Set Partitions as Geometric Words Asymptotics for Set Partitions Gray Codes, Loopless Algorithms and Set Partitions Gray Code and Loopless Algorithms Gray Codes for Pn Loopless Algorithm for Generating Pn Set Partitions and Normal Ordering Preliminaries Linear Representation and N((a+a)n) Wick's Theorem and q-Normal Ordering p-Normal Ordering Noncrossing Normal Ordering Appendices Bibliography Index Exercises, Research Directions, and Open Problems appear at the end of each chapter.
- (source: Nielsen Book Data)9781439863336 20160609
- Publisher's Summary
- Focusing on a very active area of mathematical research in the last decade, Combinatorics of Set Partitions presents methods used in the combinatorics of pattern avoidance and pattern enumeration in set partitions. Designed for students and researchers in discrete mathematics, the book is a one-stop reference on the results and research activities of set partitions from 1500 A.D. to today. Each chapter gives historical perspectives and contrasts different approaches, including generating functions, kernel method, block decomposition method, generating tree, and Wilf equivalences. Methods and definitions are illustrated with worked examples and Maple(TM) code. End-of-chapter problems often draw on data from published papers and the author's extensive research in this field. The text also explores research directions that extend the results discussed. C++ programs and output tables are listed in the appendices and available for download on the author's web page.
(source: Nielsen Book Data)9781439863336 20160609
- Publication date
- Discrete mathematics and its applications
- 9781439863336 (hbk.)
- 1439863334 (hbk.)
Browse related items
Start at call number: