Environmental debt : the hidden costs of a changing global economy
- Amy Larkin.
- First edition.
- New York, NY : Palgrave Macmillan, 2013.
- Physical description
- xii, 244 pages : illustrations, map ; 25 cm
Biology Library (Falconer)
HD75.6 .L37 2013
- Unknown HD75.6 .L37 2013
- Larkin, Amy.
- Includes bibliographical references and index.
- A framework for 21st century commerce
- Environmental debt
- The quest for true profits
- Courage : high risk, high reward
- Moving beyoyond fossil fuels: the public, private and individual sectors
- Extreme weather and the food/water/energy nexus
- The cutting edge of innonovation: in the lab, the executive suite, the halls of Congress and the patent office
- Why don't we? A transition agenda.
- Publisher's Summary
- For decades, politicians and business leaders alike told the American public that today's challenge was growing the economy, and that environmental protection could be left to future generations. Now in the wake of billions of dollars in costs associated with coastal devastation from Hurricane Sandy, rampant wildfires across the West, and groundwater contamination from reckless drilling, it's becoming increasingly clear that yesterday's carefree attitude about the environment has morphed into a fiscal crisis of epic proportions. Environmental Debt argues that the costs of global warming, extreme weather, pollution and other forms of "environmental debt" are wreaking havoc on the economy. To combat these trends, author Amy Larkin proposes a new framework for 21st century commerce, based on three principles: 1) Pollution can no longer be free; 2) All business decision making and accounting must incorporate the long view; and 3) Government must play a vital role in catalyzing clean technology and growth while preventing environmental destruction. Profiling the multinational corporations that are transforming their operations with downright radical initiatives, Larkin presents smart policy choices that would actually unleash these business solutions to many global financial and environmental problems.
(source: Nielsen Book Data)
- Publication date
- 9781137278555 (hbk.)
- 1137278552 (hbk.)