Radar entomology : observing insect flight and migration
- V. Alistair Drake, Don R. Reynolds.
- Wallingford, UK ; Cambridge, MA : CABI, c2012.
- Physical description
- xviii, 489 p.,  p. of plates : ill. (some col.) ; 25 cm.
Biology Library (Falconer)
|QL496.2 .D73 2012||Unknown|
- Includes bibliographical references (p. 433-472) and index.
- 1.Introduction-- 2.Remote Sensing and Insect Observation-- 3.Radar Principles-- 4.Insects as Radar Targets-- 5.Entomological Radar Designs-- 6.Observing Insects with Radar: I. Performance, Surveillance and Target Characterization-- 7.Observing Insects with Radar: II. Quantitative Estimation and Parameter Retrieval-- 8.Additional Radar, Radar-Like and Radio Technologies for Insect Observation-- 9.Insect Migration, its Quantification and the Role of the Atmosphere-- 10.Insect Migratory Flight I. Principal Features-- 11.Insect Migratory Flight II. Concentrations and Disturbances-- 12.Insect Migration, Population Movements and Pest Management-- 13.Migrations of Pest and Beneficial Insects-- 14.Insect Foraging Movements-- 15.Insect Echo on Meteorological Radars-- 16.Radar Entomology: Perspectives and Prospects-- Appendix A: Performance Monitoring and Calibration-- Appendix B: Regulatory and Safety Issues.
- (source: Nielsen Book Data)9781845935566 20160611
- Publisher's Summary
- Many of the world's most serious agricultural pests are highly migratory. Through the use of special-purpose radars we are provided with insights into their movement and how they learn about and navigate through their environment. This text examines the behaviour and regional variations of these species, as well as the altitude of migration, concentration of insects in layers and how they respond to large and small-scale wind systems. The book relates radar observation of insect movement to complementary and competing methodologies and surveys its capabilities and limitations. It also deals with the applications of these findings in the management and forecasting of both pest and beneficial insects, and will be an essential reference for those working in agricultural entomology and pest management. It is suitable for researchers and practitioners in agricultural entomology and pest management, ecologists, animal behaviourists, and radar meteorologists and ornithologists.
(source: Nielsen Book Data)9781845935566 20160611
- Publication date
- 9781845935566 (hardcover)
- 184593556X (hardcover)
Browse related items
Start at call number: