Essentials of the living world
- George B. Johnson.
- 4th ed.
- New York : McGraw-Hill, c2013.
- Physical description
- xviii, 686 p. : ill. (chiefly col.) ; 28 cm.
- Johnson, George B. (George Brooks), 1942-
- 0 Studying Biology Part 1 The Study of Life 1 The Science of Biology Part 2 The Living Cell 2 The Chemistry of Life 3 Molecules of Life 4 Cells 5 Energy and Life 6 Photosynthesis: Acquiring Energy from the Sun 7 How Cells Harvest Energy from Food Part 3 The Continuity of Life 8 Mitosis 9 Meiosis 10 Foundations of Genetics 11 DNA: The Genetic Material 12 How Genes Work 13 The New Biology Part 4 The Evolution and Diversity of Life 14 Evolution and Natural Selection 15 Exploring Biological Diversity 16 Evolution of Microbial Life 17 Evolution of Plants 18 Evolution of Animals Part 5 The Living Environment 19 Populations and Communities 20 Ecosystems 21 Behavior and the Environment 22 How Humans Influence the Living World Part 6 Animal Life 23 The Animal Body and How It Moves 24 Circulation 25 Respiration 26 The Path of Food Through the Animal Body 27 Maintaining the Internal Environment 28 How the Animal Body Defends Itself 29 The Nervous System 30 Chemical Signaling Within the Animal Body 31 Reproduction and Development Part 7 Plant Life 32 Plant Form and Function 33 Plant Reproduction and Growth.
- (source: Nielsen Book Data)9780073525471 20160611
- Publisher's Summary
- "Essentials of The Living World" is often considered a student favorite. George Johnson has written this non-majors textbook from the ground up to be an engaging and accessible learning tool with an emphasis on "how things work and why things happen the way they do". "Essentials of The Living World" focuses on concepts rather than terminology and technical information, and features a straightforward, clear writing style and a wide variety of media assets to enhance the content of the textbook.
(source: Nielsen Book Data)9780073525471 20160611
- Publication date
- Includes indexes.
- 9780073525471 (pbk. : acid-free paper)
- 0073525472 (pbk. : acid-free paper)
Acquired with support from
Browse related items
Start at call number: