A history of elementary social studies : romance and reality
LB1584 .H25 2013
- Unknown LB1584 .H25 2013
- Includes bibliographical references and index.
- Introduction : challenges for elementary social studies
- Before social studies : nineteenth-century history and geography education
- Social studies is born : the early twentieth century
- "Neither fish nor fowl" : social studies in the interwar years
- "Romance or reality" : Paul Robert Hanna and the expanding communities approach
- "A revolution is needed" : social studies in the hot and cold war eras
- Social studies at risk : the eras of educational excellence and accountability
- Conclusion : opportunities for twenty-first-century elementary social studies.
- Publisher's Summary
- Elementary social studies, which seeks to instill in children the principles of democratic citizenship and the core values of social responsibility, has an important responsibility in U.S. classrooms. Yet, to achieve these goals, elementary social studies must overcome a number of challenges. Social studies lessons are marginalized in the school day, and critics complain these lessons lack disciplinary rigor and focus. In addition, scholarship in the field is under-funded and under-researched. "A History of Elementary Social Studies: Romance and Reality" recounts the history of elementary social studies in the United States, beginning with its mid-nineteenth century antecedents. The book reflects on the global and national issues that influenced the origins and development of elementary social studies. This history identifies the sources of many problems in contemporary social studies education. It explains why one particular approach, the expanding communities, has thrived in elementary social studies. It also highlights imaginative, rigorous alternative pedagogical approaches that may offer direction for reformers of social studies education. The volume can be used in courses in the history of education, curriculum studies and curriculum theory, and elementary social studies methods.
(source: Nielsen Book Data)
- Publication date
- Anne-Lise Halvorsen.
- History of schools and schooling ; volume 53
- 9781433106477 (pbk.)
- 1433106477 (pbk.)
- 781453909201 (e-book)
- 9781433122866 (hardcover : alk. paper)
- 1433122863 (hardcover : alk. paper)
- 9781453909201 (e-book)
- 9781453909218 (e-book)